New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

SickFinga

27 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2018 :  20:13:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently got a 1979 350SL and it has option code 992 stamped on the dataplate. I know that it means that the vehicle has some special order options, but this option does not appear on the datacard.
I have the original datacard and there is no mention of it. I contacted Thomas from the Classic Center hoping there would be a production order in their archives, but they also only got a datacard with no mention of the code 992.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Ron B

Australia
11633 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2018 :  06:14:32  Show Profile  Visit Ron B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes,I have seen it quite often and it means that options not listed on the data card have been added. On my 6.3 I found out it had an extra large radiator .Pretty odd considering it was delivered new in London ( Fish Lane ) where it isn't exactly Tropical. I can only assume it was ordered by the 1st owner who was intending to bring the car here to Australia.
Go to Top of Page

paul-NL

Netherlands
4296 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2018 :  08:00:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Has your car VELOURS interior ?????
On the datacard is marked Ausstattung : --- and with pen is written 905 ???

Code 992 : FOR FURTHER NON-CODED SPECIAL VERSIONS, SEE PRODUCTION ORDER I, but that is in this case a special Client Wish for which the body had to be special extra prepared.

Edited by - paul-NL on 09/12/2018 08:06:35
Go to Top of Page

SickFinga

27 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2018 :  16:30:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ron B

Yes,I have seen it quite often and it means that options not listed on the data card have been added. On my 6.3 I found out it had an extra large radiator .Pretty odd considering it was delivered new in London ( Fish Lane ) where it isn't exactly Tropical. I can only assume it was ordered by the 1st owner who was intending to bring the car here to Australia.

Does the option code 992 appear on your datacard? Do you have the production order explaining the non-coded options?

quote:
Originally posted by paul-NL

Has your car VELOURS interior ?????
On the datacard is marked Ausstattung : --- and with pen is written 905 ???

Code 992 : FOR FURTHER NON-CODED SPECIAL VERSIONS, SEE PRODUCTION ORDER I, but that is in this case a special Client Wish for which the body had to be special extra prepared.

It was originally velour, but it was reupholstered in leather. The door panels still got velour inserts. I'm not sure why there was a mistake on the service book datacard, but it is not present on the datacard from the archives.

Still confused why there is a 992 code on the dataplate and it is not present on either of the datacard and there is no production order in the archives for this vehicle.
Go to Top of Page

paul-NL

Netherlands
4296 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2018 :  16:52:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

There is code 590, which means heatisolating green glas around in combination with heated rear window in your hardtop.

That last option needed extra drilling for the electric connection.
It could be that that body- / hardtop- option is ment by the 992 code.

There are more cars for which the productionpage I is not anymore available in the Benz archives …..

Edited by - paul-NL on 09/12/2018 17:04:10
Go to Top of Page

paul-NL

Netherlands
4296 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2018 :  16:55:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

the optioncode 993 is marked on my datacard in the field "Hinweis" which is not on your datacard mentioned.

Edited by - paul-NL on 09/12/2018 17:31:14
Go to Top of Page

ctmaher

USA
678 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2018 :  16:56:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, a 107 SL with velour interior. The SLC was available with velour but not the SL to my knowledge, so this had to be a special order and probably the reason for the written in number on the card and possible the 992 but that still doesn't explain why it's on the body tag and why it's not indicated on the datacard. I don't think there were any body shell components affected by the upholstery material.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

SickFinga

27 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2018 :  17:27:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

There is code 590, which means heatisolating green glas around in combination with heated rear window in your hardtop.

That last option needed extra drilling for the electric connection.
It could be that that body- / hardtop- option is ment by the 992 code.

There are more cars for which the productionpage I is not anymore available in the Benz archives …..

But the option 590 is marked on the dataplate and on the datacard, and it's a pretty common option so I doubt it would require a 992 code.

quote:
Originally posted by ctmaher

Wow, a 107 SL with velour interior. The SLC was available with velour but not the SL to my knowledge, so this had to be a special order and probably the reason for the written in number on the card and possible the 992 but that still doesn't explain why it's on the body tag and why it's not indicated on the datacard. I don't think there were any body shell components affected by the upholstery material.

Chris

I think we got a winner. Velour was not available on the R107 SL. Now I wish it still had the velour interior Still wonder why 992 is on the dataplate since upholstery is never mentioned on it. Maybe there is more to this car.

http://www.meinbenz.de/preislisten/w116_preisliste0279.htm
Go to Top of Page

paul-NL

Netherlands
4296 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2018 :  17:36:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hardtop had to be ordered extra and was imho not standard delivered. Neigther was a hardtop with heated rear window ….

The code for heatisolating glas for the SL-serie was normaly SA-code 594 "Waermedaemmendes Glas gruen fuer Seitenscheiben und Windschutzscheibe (SL = OHNE COUPE-DACH UND FAHRGESTELLE)" and NOT code 590 which was for the sedan cars ….

Edited by - paul-NL on 09/12/2018 17:45:27
Go to Top of Page

SickFinga

27 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2018 :  17:40:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hardtop had to be ordered extra and was imho not standard delivered. Neigther was a hardtop with heated rear window ….

Hardtop with the heated glass was a paid option under the 41/6 option code. See 1979 German price list
http://www.meinbenz.de/preislisten/w116_preisliste0279.htm
Go to Top of Page

paul-NL

Netherlands
4296 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2018 :  17:47:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

SA-code 41/6 means ordered hardtop mounted and not in a box delivered (uncolored glasses with heated rear window) ….

Code 590 was NOT available for the SL series three times marked with "-" and the line below that but uncoded
only on special request available and with footnote "2" …. so that explains the code 992 (see the options in W116 Preisliste 1979)

Edited by - paul-NL on 09/12/2018 18:31:07
Go to Top of Page

SickFinga

27 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2018 :  18:23:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

SA-code 41/6 means ordered hardtop mounted and not in a box delivered ….

The unmounted hardtop (code 41/4) was discontinued in late 1972

quote:
Code 590 was NOT available for the SL series (only on special request) …. so that explains the code 992 (see the options in W116 Preisliste 1979)

Are you looking at it correctly?

Go to Top of Page

paul-NL

Netherlands
4296 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2018 :  18:45:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

which code is mentioned in the red marked position ???

BEHIND CODE 59/0 is in the SL section three time a MARK "-" but was available for the SLC …

My eyes are good , although with glasses ….

Edited by - paul-NL on 09/12/2018 18:48:09
Go to Top of Page

SickFinga

27 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2018 :  18:51:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Code 590 was NOT available for the SL series three times marked with "-" and the line below that but uncoded
only on special request available and with footnote "2" …. so that explains the code 992 (see the options in W116 Preisliste 1979)

Footnote 2 means "nur lieferbar mit Coupιdach". Meaning option 59/0 can only be ordered with the hardtop (code 41/6). I'm not sure where you see that it's a special request option.
Go to Top of Page

SickFinga

27 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2018 :  18:58:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

which code is mentioned in the red marked position ???

BEHIND CODE 59/0 is in the SL section three time a MARK "-" but was available for the SLC …

My eyes are good , although with glasses ….

I see where the confusion comes from. The line under the 59/0 code is just a formatting error on the website's part.

edited the original screenshot to the one that matches the meinbenz.de price list

Edited by - SickFinga on 09/12/2018 19:07:05
Go to Top of Page

paul-NL

Netherlands
4296 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2018 :  19:00:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Now code 59/0 is mentioned on your dataplate in combination with code 41/6, I have to conclude that I did read that Preislist wrong ….

But in that case code 992 is not explained ….
Also curious is that imho code 416 is TWICE printed on the dataplate …

Has your hardtop the chromed rails for connection of the ski-holder or Luggage rack ??

Edited by - paul-NL on 09/12/2018 20:36:36
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M-100 Message Board © 2002-2015 International M-100 Group, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06