ventilation/ac modifications
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

james lawson

USA
1321 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2018 :  13:39:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My air conditioning has just two outlets in the center, and is not adequate. So, I was thinking that it might help to splice or add outlets (unseen).
Has anyone done this?
I could not find anything in a search.

jim

benzman70

USA
200 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2018 :  07:03:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James, Air conditioning air should come out the two vents on the outer dash , unless the hoses from the center section to the outside vents have come loose or have been left off at some time ?? Flipping the levers one way is outside air and the other way is air conditioning air ?
Gary
Go to Top of Page

paul-NL

Netherlands
4265 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2018 :  10:36:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

that is a false statement. The airconditioning is NOT connected to the outer vents on the dasboard, which are only for fresh outside air.
The unit is an inside aircooler.
Extra airvents on the cooler will bring not extra cooling ..
Go to Top of Page

benzman70

USA
200 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2018 :  11:34:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paul, I guess my last 6.3 was an oddball, as it had hose connections on each end of the center unit and hoses that went to the outside vents and cold a/c air came out of the vents, as i had to replace the heater blower motor and you know what it required to remove and reinstall the whole dash assy. I also had a 1971 280se in the shop that only had the hose going to the pass outlet and cold a/c came out that vent with the a/c on, but not on the driver's side.
Gary
Go to Top of Page

benzman70

USA
200 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2018 :  11:45:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paul, Go to EPC group 83 picture 001, for 109-018 and look at item #182 center air conditioning duct with hose connectios on each end of the center duct for a/c air to the side vents. ?
Go to Top of Page

Aaron H

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2018 :  01:56:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paul, all W108/W109 cars equipped with air conditioning from the factory utilized the side vents for cooled air from the under dash unit. A lot of W108/W109 cars had air conditioning added on subsequently, and often times the side vents weren't hooked up because it involved changing the outer ventilators to allow for cooled air to be supplied to them.

If you'll have a look at the parts books or the section of EPC that Jim mentions you'll see this to be a true statement.

Even when new, the air volume out of the side vents was very weak and asthmatic. So don't get your hopes up too high. And try to stick with R-12. You're in the U.S. Jim, so finding and buying R-12 will be rather easy.

To answer your question Jim, you can make the lower dash unit air tight with HVAC tape and sealing off the top where the aluminum top cover is. Make sure that your A/C blower motor is clean and lubricated, and make sure that the polarity is correct. Many times I've seen someone wire the blower motor backwards, which makes the motor turn in reverse. It'll blow very weak making one think there is a massive air leak somewhere when there really isn't. The biggest leak point is where the lower dash unit attaches to the evaporator box. Originally, and depending on whether you have an early or late model, this area was sealed off with a rubber boot or a thick piece of foam. Both end up being utterly useless with age. To rectify this leak point I wrap the connection in HVAC tape, as well. It works wonders.

My daily driver W109, even though a lowly 4.5, has the best air conditioning of all of my cars....and it has dark blue leather on the inside. On a hot day it'll take around 20 minutes to make a difference, but after that I have to turn the vents away because i get chilled. Hence, these can be made to work really well with proper sealing of the system and using R-12.
Go to Top of Page

paul-NL

Netherlands
4265 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2018 :  08:00:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Gary and Aaron,

it seems that those aircosystems are different for the euro- and USA-cars. Did not know that . Apologize.
Go to Top of Page

Aaron H

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2018 :  17:02:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paul-NL

Hi Gary and Aaron,

it seems that those aircosystems are different for the euro- and USA-cars. Did not know that . Apologize.

Euro versions also had cooled side vents.....but only if the car had A/C from new. Again, bear in mind that A/C systems added on ex factory, which a lot of Euro versions had done, did not have the side vents attached due to having to change them out. Non A/C cars had summer ventilation side vents and had to be exchanged when A/C was added. Since doing so is such a take most dealerships and private ships omitted installing the correct side vent assemblies. As an example, I had a U.S. version W108 280s years ago that had a/c added on many years later. As one might imagine, the side vents weren't hooked up to the a/c. Conversely, another 280S I had years later had A/C from new, and the side vents were connected to the A/C. Both were U.S. models, too.
Go to Top of Page

benz_head

USA
449 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2018 :  12:30:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks all, I have learned a lot here!

benz_head
Go to Top of Page

AgSilver

USA
282 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2018 :  12:45:54  Show Profile  Visit AgSilver's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The setup on 4632 has the left vent connected only to the massive outside fresh air vent. The right side vent is connected directly to the evaporator.

In the FWIW department, the enormous external fresh air scoop seems to develop a significant ram effect at higher speeds increasing the air pressure which produces a slight refrigeration effect with the expanding air from the vent.

Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Niederheimbach, Germany
W109 6.3(6.5)
E55K AMG
CLK63 AMG Gone
Ferrari 400GTC4 Gone
ML400CDI BiTurbo
ML350 CDI BlueTEC
9146GT Gone
Go to Top of Page

Ron B

Australia
11619 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2018 :  04:18:01  Show Profile  Visit Ron B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ha ha a very slight effect and probably more to do with sweat evaporating due to increased air flow. I have been working on a 6.3 which has the original air con but it has been modified with a newer style of TX vlave to suit R134a. R134a is pretty useless in our older york compressor systems as the proper head pressure is too high and eventually ruins the compressor. But... this particular cars aircon is nice and cold. i have no idea who modified it but it's amazing to see vapour coming out of the vents on humid days here. If a better cooling effect is desired the only effective solution is to replace the compressor with a modern Sanden Unit and a thicker condenser. The Original condenser is big but only two rows deep which was OK for R12 but not enough surface area for r134a. Rplace the TX valve for one to suit R134a and that should provide enough cooling effect for even the hottest days. Another thing, re insulate the firewall and front floor area .After 45 odd years the original insulation is often flattened out .This means the effective air cell area is now gone so raw heat is entering the car .
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M-100 Message Board © 2002-2015 International M-100 Group, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06