6.9 not starting after a long rest
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

arcijack

USA
472 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2018 :  23:08:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been a while since i posted anything, but my 6.9 has been stored up for a while, decided to take it out for a run it drove well for about 5 miles and limped home the rest of the way, after got home would not start, cranks over but will not fire, i put a different distributor in thinking this might be the issue, but i failed to mark the old dist. just totally slipped my mind, so what is the proper procedure in setting timing for a new dist, i am starting all over again, in other words pulling dist out and re installing, help please!!!!!!!

cth350

USA
1517 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2018 :  07:24:25  Show Profile  Visit cth350's Homepage  Reply with Quote
eating breakfast and typing without any reference material, but the simplest set of steps would be...

hand crank to TDC on piston 1 where both cam lobes point away from the head (both valves closed). Watch the direction the rotor's moving as you crank it.

Put the distributor in so that the rotor's leading edge is at the #1 mark on the distributor. (Check that the mark has your #1 wire).

At starter speed (about 200rpm), you can time the motor to something like 0 and get it to start if that was the problem.

For next time, use a timing light before pulling the distributor. It can quickly tell you if the ignition system is providing a steady pulse chain.

-CTH
Go to Top of Page

arcijack

USA
472 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2018 :  22:19:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks, will get it going this weekend
Go to Top of Page

arcijack

USA
472 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2018 :  20:16:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
got the beast started, but continue to cut off, tachometer jumping all over the place in ideas on tacho jumping
Go to Top of Page

cth350

USA
1517 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2018 :  14:18:04  Show Profile  Visit cth350's Homepage  Reply with Quote
first thing to think about is a bad ground. The factory ignition module is not just a giant heat sink, those three screws that hold it to the body ground it as well. The various screw connections to the resistors can be loose or corroded too.

-cth
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M-100 Message Board © 2002-2015 International M-100 Group, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06