Sealed Beam Headlights
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

T.J. Woods

Australia
258 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2017 :  17:49:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had the headlights apart on the weekend for cleaning and noticed that they are RHD sealed beam units instead of the units with separate halogen bulbs I was expecting to see.

The car has had the Hella driving lights fitted and is a York Motors delivered car.

I do wonder why anyone would fit a lighting downgrade, there's no evidence of any major front end damage.

This is a 1969 car with vented rear brake rotors.

I'm assuming all Aus delivered cars are not supposed to have these lights?

Tim

1976 450SEL 6.9 #1432
1979 450SEL 6.9 #5866
1969 300SEL 6.3 #1394
1985 W126 280SE

Art Love

Australia
6138 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2017 :  19:12:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim, your assumption is correct. Tom Hanson used to have the correct RHD Bosch units available. The only problem I recall was working out the correct part numbers. So I wrote them into my Parts Manual at the time. RHD low beam units were 000 826 32 99 and high beam were 000 826 31 99. Only the LHD part numbers were in the official Manual - the difference being the light diffusion patterns in the glass lenses are reversed so the beams are deflected away from oncoming traffic.

I made the mistake of using the part numbers in the Manual. These are LHD lenses. Below are the RHD lenses.

Hopefully, you can still get these units. Let us know.
Art
Go to Top of Page

Ron B

Australia
11545 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2017 :  17:06:46  Show Profile  Visit Ron B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
And it's damned hard getting RHD H4 headlights too. None of the importers carry them in stock and refuse to . Hella had some and it took a phone call to New Zealand before they release them to me because they wanted me to go to a Supercheap or Repco and order them. The only problem being is that they wanted twice the retail price. This possibly why you have Sealed beams. My car was built in jan 1969 but UK delivered and it's always had H4's as far as i could work out. it's written in your data card anyway i think.
Go to Top of Page

mtrei

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2017 :  00:42:23  Show Profile  Visit mtrei's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ron B

And it's damned hard getting RHD H4 headlights too. None of the importers carry them in stock and refuse to . Hella had some and it took a phone call to New Zealand before they release them to me because they wanted me to go to a Supercheap or Repco and order them. The only problem being is that they wanted twice the retail price. This possibly why you have Sealed beams. My car was built in jan 1969 but UK delivered and it's always had H4's as far as i could work out. it's written in your data card anyway i think.

The original lamps used H1, not H4 bulbs which hadn't been invented yet. Some later drop in replacements used H4 dual beam bulbs in the top position.
Go to Top of Page

T.J. Woods

Australia
258 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2017 :  10:40:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Art,
I'll take note and will let you know when the time comes.

Yes, I'd say you're probably right there Ron. I've since noticed a kink in the chrome trim piece on the right hand side, so that's probably the reason.

Tim
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M-100 Message Board © 2002-2015 International M-100 Group, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06