Steering Wheel Adapter
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

etmerritt33

USA
1407 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2017 :  10:37:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thought I would try one more time because I've tried and cannot find anything?

Does anyone know where I could find a 3 hole steering wheel adapter with a spline with a 21 mm diameter and 66 teeth???

Any leads much appreciated!!

Ron B

Australia
11561 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2017 :  22:28:59  Show Profile  Visit Ron B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
you asked this guy?http://mrfiat.com/
Go to Top of Page

etmerritt33

USA
1407 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2017 :  14:22:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Ron!! Never heard of them but just sent them a message thru the website.

It seems that some of the Mercedes that preceded the W123 used a 17 or 18 mm diameter spline and then a change was made to a 21 mm diameter spline with 66 teeth??

The adapter that came with the AMG type steering wheel I bought off eBay years ago has a Mercedes 116 part number on the spline side of the adapter. If I cannot find the correct adapter I'd like to restore the AMG steering wheel I have with the Leatherique kit and flip it on eBay and then buy another identical AMG steering wheel with the correct adapter for my 85 280E.

I read last night on another Mercedes forum that the proper adapter will have a 126 Mercedes part number on the spline end.

I don't want to advertise it incorrectly and have someone else have the same problem I'm trying to solve. Just a matter of personal principle for what it's worth.

I'll let the group know what I find out. These steering wheels were used on the AMG versions of the 6.9 so this does have some relationship to our group.
Go to Top of Page

Ron B

Australia
11561 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2017 :  17:39:04  Show Profile  Visit Ron B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes there are an early type which also fit w108-w109's and w114's and the later type. Early W116 steering wheels had extra bits of bright trim which were dropped later on ,which is usually the quickest way to identify them. Early W114 and W115's have a steering wheel which looks just like a W109 wheel .The actual adaptor part is interchangeable between the two different types as it bolts to the bottom of the wheel ,right? .
Go to Top of Page

etmerritt33

USA
1407 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2017 :  17:13:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Answer from Ron's suggestion..... I give up! Not worth the expense and trouble!

I checked for you and no sorry we cannot help you with this request.

Regards,
David Besharat
Italian Auto Parts, Inc.
Phone: 678-637-5103
Fax: 914-829-9018
Go to Top of Page

Ron B

Australia
11561 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2017 :  17:42:16  Show Profile  Visit Ron B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok, what i did was look in Germany via the internet. All German car aftermarket parts must have a KBa number and i found this :
Thats an adapter for the AMG wheel to a W123 .

What you need to do is search for AMG Silberpfeil Lenkrad ,

The earlier part is : Silberpfeil-Lederlenkrad für /8, W116 und frühe R/C107. Durchmesser 38 cm. Hersteller ist Atiwe, KBA-Nr. 70069 .
A quick search reveals this list for VW's :http://www.vw-bus-land.de/tips/lenkrad.html

Go to Top of Page

etmerritt33

USA
1407 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2017 :  19:11:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Ron!!!!

Just took some more pics. The steeering wheel I have is identical in terms of what is marked on the back side. Tomorrow I'll get on my laptop and downsize the pics so I can directly upload them to the board.

I tried searching eBay.de but my challenge is not being able to read the German. Google translate is not trustworthy when trying to translate verbiage about cars. I've rarely seen the German to English translations make much sense. When I'm trying to discern a difference like this one I don't trust what I'm looking at.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

etmerritt33

USA
1407 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2017 :  19:16:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forgot to mention....

The number stamped on the outside of the bottom of the adapter I have is 501 X.

I suspect that based on the info you shared previously that the steering wheel I have was for a W114 280E..
Go to Top of Page

etmerritt33

USA
1407 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2017 :  19:33:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ron,

I took my 6.9 out for a 100 mile "excercise run" today and I thought of you!! I've said over and over how happy I am with how the car runs and drives. I remembered you trying to get it through my head when I was messing with the Unwired Tools WUR that it was unnecessary and a waste of time and that if the WUR and FD were perfectly calibrated there was no need for an electronic WUR!! As usual, you were absolutely correct!!

At the same time you stressed to me about sticking to the factory ignition timing and that was 100% correct! The Unwired Tools instructions advised setting more advance at idle. If the distributor is working properly there is no need to deviate from the factory settings.

I'm also reminded of Chris Johnson's trusted saying "If you aren't constantly impressed with your car it needs fixing!". Finally, after 13 years and going no off in the weeds a few times..I am constantly impressed with my 6.9. Much of the credit and thanks goes to you, Ron!!!

If everything is factory perfect 6.9's are really enjoyable and fun to drive. The suspension after Martin Werminghausen's fantastic work manages the weight of the car in dynamic situations on the road as the Mercedes engineers had in mind. The difference is both impressive and amazing!!

Tom
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M-100 Message Board © 2002-2015 International M-100 Group, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.75 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06