New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

werminghausen

USA
766 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2017 :  13:57:12  Show Profile  Visit werminghausen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Thomas,

indeed I just replaced a plastic line for a 600. It is about 4.5m long and by far the longest line. The fittings need to be machined if the old ones cannot be reused.

In steel this line needs probably be split in parts and joined. In plastic this line is easy to be built and stored as one line.
Thomas is right that the very last elbow of the rear line is prone to inner corrosion. How do we know? The rear axle valve intake valve (E) steel fitting is typically very corroded due to condensate collected there. Why condensate in side? Good question. It should not happen inside with a proper functioning antifreeze which is filled with ethanol all the time.
However the antifreeze can not be seen or checked easily for functionality and it is the one unit often overseen because it remains unseen for a long time.
See my article about the antifreeze. http://600airsuspension.com/resources/150315-article-about-antifreeze-and-filter.pdf

Martin

quote:
Originally posted by tcj

thanks.

And if anyone needs new plastic lines: Martin is able to build new ones.

Thomas

Thomas

112.021 300SEC
116.028 350SE
116.036 450SEL 6.9

Go to Top of Page

tcj

Germany
34 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2017 :  14:49:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
The rear axle valve intake valve (E) steel fitting is typically very corroded due to condensate collected there

right! here is my todays sample from a rear valve I am rebuilding: This is the intake fitting next to a new one:
At least I am not able to blow through it.

Thomas

112.021 300SEC
116.028 350SE
116.036 450SEL 6.9
Go to Top of Page

ctmaher

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2017 :  19:11:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought I had heard years ago that Mercedes had superceded all the steel air lines to plastic tubing. Is there any truth to this or are the steel lines still available?

Every truck on the road with air brakes uses nylon tubing for the air system, except for the discharge line from the compressor to the first air tank, which tends to get hotter than the melting point of nylon. Only issue is if one could live with the un-originality of the plastic lines.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Art Love

Australia
6138 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2017 :  21:34:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I last checked, which is probably 20 years ago as I think about it, some of the shorter lines were still available, but not the longer ones. There was no mention of a change to plastic.

I have not seen the severity of rust that Thomas shows in his photo. The other thing which has always intrigued me is that the official M-B instructions are to only fill the inlet bottle with alcohol when the ambient temperature is below 40 degrees Fahrenheit. Based on those instructions, the bottle would never have anything in it where I live. So there is no dehydration of the incoming air by alcohol absorption despite the humidity often being relatively high. Some mechanics have used Inox in the bottle to vapourize a little and act as a lubricant and anti-rust agent in the lines. I have no way of knowing whether it helps or not. Freezing of water in the lines is not an issue where I live.
Art
Go to Top of Page

werminghausen

USA
766 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2017 :  22:04:54  Show Profile  Visit werminghausen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Art, I think even in hotter but humid climates Ethanol should be used to keep the humidity as low as possible. You don't want corrosion in the air suspension. In addition Ethanol in vaporized form is not a disadvantage at all for the seals.

Martin
Go to Top of Page

AgSilver

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2017 :  14:44:54  Show Profile  Visit AgSilver's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here in hot and humid (and soon to be visited by Irma) South East Florida, I have always used denatured alcohol in the reservoir. The rear leveling valve, which had been in the car when I obtained it 12 years ago, began to fail about a year ago. The front valves were replaced about 10 years ago during the restoration and still function properly. Martin provided me with a replacement rear valve which (naturally)functions flawlessly. When draining the air tank there is never more than 25ml-50ml. Quite frankly, I find the process of recirculating the air/alcohol mixture to be ingenious and besides that, it actually works.

Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Niederheimbach, Germany
300SEL 6.3
E55K AMG
CLK63 AMG Gone
Ferrari 400GTC4 Gone
ML400CDI BiTurbo
ML350 CDI BT
9146GT
Go to Top of Page

Ron B

Australia
11545 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2017 :  17:00:35  Show Profile  Visit Ron B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The rear valve gets a real flogging and in the Workshop manuals for W109 suspension it says to replace the rear valve every 60,000 miles. Just something to consider. Mooks like it has 4 times that much on it ,
In that situation I would be heading for the nearest hendrikson agent . They have a good idea on what size nylon air lines are available in Australia or on line. I have heard of a W112 Coupe in Sydney which has hendrickson air suspension valves. The aftermarket airbag systems used on Customised cars are useless in our situation having no actaul control just in and out .
Go to Top of Page

RobertStJohn

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2017 :  01:31:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use "Diesel Power Maximum" air brake anti freeze in the 300SE, at 103000 miles and 15 years of ownership I've never had a valve problem or failure. This stuff purports to have some sort of lubricant for rubber parts in the system.

Maybe I'm just lucky or it's the excellent service provided by Mike Morris.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M-100 Message Board © 2002-2015 International M-100 Group, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06