Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

KipF

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2017 :  11:58:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was finally able to see the car yesterday. I'd say the $49.5K asking price is quite optimistic. The car has had a repaint and it's decent, but the entire car is in need of a professional detail. There is evidence of bodywork in the driver's side trunk well (looks like possible rust repair) and on the driver's side rear door. The interior appears to be original though I suspect the wood has been redone at some point. The front window wood trim is delaminating and broken in several places. The rest of the interior appears to be original and is in nice shape. The seller said the car came to them with seat covers. There are some electrical issues and the a/c does not blow cold. The blower motor works, but the compressor does not engage. It currently is not running on all 8 cylinders even though the seller states it was recently serviced at Malibu Motors in Santa Monica.
It drives strong, no weird noises, no puling to the right or left. I started it from cold and it took a minute but it fired up, no smoke from the exhaust. The box at the front is a "Perma-Tune" from Newport Beach. I'm not familiar with those, perhaps someone else has some insight. It runs rough and has an exhaust manifold leak on the driver's side. The suspension control lever is missing, so I wasn't able to raise and lower the car. It was sitting as it should when I arrived and I could hear the suspension pump working when the engine was running. The radio works, as does the power antenna and all 4 windows. One of the sliders for the heat/defrost is broken. All in all, it appears to be a fairly original car that needs a little TLC. My .02 is that it needs a competent mechanic to sort some issues and then a good detailer.

1966 230SL
1969 300SEL #1703
1985 300TD
1990 350SDL
1992 500E
1993 500E
2002 SL500
2008 GL320 CDI
2009 GL320 BT - SOLD
Go to Top of Page

desidon

20 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2017 :  18:18:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A big thx to Kip for taking a look at this car on behalf. It was actually a bit painful to schedule but Kip took the time and trouble to make numerous calls to the dealer and his employees to schedule a viewing.
His counsel has been invaluable during the process and I am really in awe with the support I have received from this forum in general and Kip in particular.
I offered the dealer 20K for this car given all its issues and I was told I was no where close so this one has to be put to rest as far as I am concerned for now....

The search continues......
Go to Top of Page

daantjie

Canada
890 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2017 :  21:21:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by desidon

A big thx to Kip for taking a look at this car on behalf. It was actually a bit painful to schedule but Kip took the time and trouble to make numerous calls to the dealer and his employees to schedule a viewing.
His counsel has been invaluable during the process and I am really in awe with the support I have received from this forum in general and Kip in particular.
I offered the dealer 20K for this car given all its issues and I was told I was no where close so this one has to be put to rest as far as I am concerned for now....

Did you seriously think a dealer will accept less than half the asking price
Might be time to calibrate your expectations a bit methinks.

Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9
Vancouver, BC
Go to Top of Page

desidon

20 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2017 :  06:40:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daantjie

quote:
Originally posted by desidon

Did you seriously think a dealer will accept less than half the asking price
Might be time to calibrate your expectations a bit methinks.

Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9
Vancouver, BC

Sent a long list of things that were wrong with the car based on Kip's findings, what work is needed and how much it costs and that's what the offer was based on.
Go to Top of Page

daantjie

Canada
890 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2017 :  14:19:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trust me I'm all for kicking a dealer as hard as you can but @ 20K you will only find examples much rougher than this one. The cat is out of the bag for 6.3's. Everybody knows by now that they are highly collectible so the chances that you will score a diamond in the rough for pocket change are exceedingly slim.

Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9
Vancouver, BC

Edited by - daantjie on 09/09/2017 14:20:12
Go to Top of Page

AgSilver

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2017 :  00:09:30  Show Profile  Visit AgSilver's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Trust me I'm all for kicking a dealer as hard as you can but @ 20K you will only find examples much rougher than this one. The cat is out of the bag for 6.3's. Everybody knows by now that they are highly collectible so the chances that you will score a diamond in the rough for pocket change are exceedingly slim.

Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9
Vancouver, BC

Yup - - - out of the bag and running and never looking back.

Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Niederheimbach, Germany
300SEL 6.3
E55K AMG
CLK63 AMG Gone
Ferrari 400GTC4 Gone
ML400CDI BiTurbo
ML350 CDI BT
9146GT
Go to Top of Page

desidon

20 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2017 :  01:06:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9
Vancouver, BC

Curious... What would you have paid for this particular example if you were in the market?
Go to Top of Page

daantjie

Canada
890 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2017 :  01:27:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
40K tops.

Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9
Vancouver, BC
Go to Top of Page

olliw109

Germany
382 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2017 :  06:18:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello I cannot trace reading any precise info about the engine. But the inner values decide the price, the behaviour is not enough to judge on further needs. Dont be too optimistic before you checked that. There was always a/more than one reason to put the car aside! Engine is often important. Costs for proper overhauling for the undercarriage/steering etc. vary between kEUR 20-40. Engine on top between kEUR 15-30. If you are fine with that decide what this car is worth to pay. Or let others pay for this and invest more in a better car. Costs after having done everything easily reach kEUR 100. My 2cents.

300 SEL 6.3 3478+5327
Oliver
Go to Top of Page

AgSilver

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2017 :  12:39:03  Show Profile  Visit AgSilver's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by olliw109

Hello I cannot trace reading any precise info about the engine. But the inner values decide the price, the behaviour is not enough to judge on further needs. Dont be too optimistic before you checked that. There was always a/more than one reason to put the car aside! Engine is often important. Costs for proper overhauling for the undercarriage/steering etc. vary between kEUR 20-40. Engine on top between kEUR 15-30. If you are fine with that decide what this car is worth to pay. Or let others pay for this and invest more in a better car. Costs after having done everything easily reach kEUR 100. My 2cents.

Oliver

Your $.02 is well said. I'll add my $.02 and say to properly restore these machines, just figure 6.3 X the cost of restoring a typical Mercedes-Benz. That's our $.04.

Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Niederheimbach, Germany
300SEL 6.3
E55K AMG
CLK63 AMG Gone
Ferrari 400GTC4 Gone
ML400CDI BiTurbo
ML350 CDI BT
9146GT
Go to Top of Page

mpmorris

USA
1295 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2017 :  11:03:50  Show Profile  Visit mpmorris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm hesitant to get into this but given a little insight from Kip's time spent looking at the car and sending me pictures and the hit list that he observed, I will toss my .05 cents worth in.

This is the 6.3 currently offered in NY (no affiliation other than being familiar with the car):
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/202033915728?ul_noapp=true

Going on this known low mileage car that needs nothing, you cannot compare the silver car to the ivory car. As Olli and AgSilver stated, the cost of resurrecting and the cost of the unknowns can exceed the 100k dollar mark. That does put the silver car between the 20-30k mark providing it indeed has no rust and isn't bent.

The subject of values going up, 7 years ago, I paid 5K USD for a car that I thought I was going to resurrect but found the car was only good for parts --very bad deal at the time. Now that parts car is worth every bit of the 5k plus more.

The $72k ivory car was purchased with 52k miles 9 years ago for around $25k -which was market price at the time; looking at today's numbers and the cost to get these 109s right gives credence to today's asking price for true low mileage original cars.

mpm
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M-100 Message Board © 2002-2015 International M-100 Group, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06