Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

MattR

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2018 :  19:52:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't been tracking prices on our cars lately because my effort to automate my CL queries stalled out, and the demand from work ramped up to the point of overload. I consider 6.9's to be fairly predictable, and fairly low. 6.3's are even less predictable than ours, imo, as I've seen great cars go for ~$30k, and rotted out hulks go for $20k. 600's remain stratospheric, and rare enough that the people paying for them these days don't likely care what the car costs.

Twice in my life, I've almost taken a gamble on a car that I wanted, and could've bought it and later re-sold for a significant profit.

Outside of those two cars (neither of which I actually bought), I've lost money on every car I've ever owned. If you have money to spare, you'd be far better (and safer, in my unqualified opinion) to invest it in a stock portfolio or something else than spending 10+ years sitting on an old car and hoping that it turns a strong profit. Now, if you buy a car you love, and sell for a profit down the road? Then it's probably worth the effort, but unless you're willing to risk a 100% loss, buying cars as an investment is probably a bad call.

NOTE: I'm not a financial advisor, I do a **** job of taking care of the tiny amount of funds I have, and probably shouldn't be listened to.

----------------
1976 450SE 6.9
aka Frankenbenz
Go to Top of Page

Ron B

Australia
11633 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2018 :  23:57:59  Show Profile  Visit Ron B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been happy with the lower prices of M100 cars compared with alleged Muscle cars of the same era. I can get in my 6.3 and drive around without worrying about some crim stealing it and shipping it to Russia .As for younger folks not wanting them,that is contrary to what i have been experiencing. A lot of my customers are under 35 and own all sorts of pre 75 Mercedes. Including one guy who just bought TWO 300SEL 3.5's and both are very nice original cars. Another has a 190SL in Stunning original condition, no repaints or interior work either.A lot of these younger owners don't have too much money but they love the classic appearance of our M100's.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M-100 Message Board © 2002-2015 International M-100 Group, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06