New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

AgSilver

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2016 :  03:12:12  Show Profile  Visit AgSilver's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here is the facility that has been rebuilding MFI's since the 50's. Jerry's grandson Robert now operates the company. Back in the 50's Jerry did all the work on our 1957 300SL, '58 300SL and '62 300SL. A common problem was the diaphragm. Most recently Robert did a complete rebuild of my M-100 MFI.

http://www.fuelinjectioncenter.com/

300SEL 6.3
E55 AMG
CLK63 AMG Gone
Ferrari 400GTC4
ML400CDI BiTurbo
ML350 CDI BT
9146GT
Go to Top of Page

Art Love

Australia
6138 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2016 :  19:25:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unless you plan to have the water pump rebuilt, there is no reason to remove it. There is really nothing in it which would deteriorate from just sitting and there are some potential serious issues if you do have to remove it and have it rebuilt which I shall not go into now. The alternator is easier to remove and less problematic to have tested and repaired if necessary. Just work out how the belt tensioner and support bracket work. I broke part of one some years ago by forcing it because I did not have the brains to see how it worked.

Dealing with the engine and subframe mounts are not too difficult IF you have the right equipment. The subframe mounts are pretty straight forward but you need either good quality and safe jacking or a hoist. The side engine mounts require some method of lifting and supporting the engine. I would not suggest replacing the rear engine mount [auto gearbox mount] without a hoist/lift - you don't want to be under the car doing that sort of thing on your own. Neither are a high priority in your case - they are something that you would consider getting done once the car is running and mobile. Getting access to other components which are better accessed with those mounts in good condition can also be achieved by judicious jacking of the body or motor. If you have a hoist, it may be a different discussion.
Art
Go to Top of Page

GeraldK

Canada
88 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2016 :  20:30:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great, I'll leave the pump as is as then. I'll give some thought to the alternator. I will have to figure out the tensioner anyways to replace the belt.

How many belts are there supposed to be on the car? I ordered a set and there seems to be an extra one. I have two around the suspension compressor, one around the alternator and one around the AC compressor. It seems it's the extra one I received is the same same size as the one to the AC compressor. It does look like its a double pulley but unsure if there really should be a second belt there.

One more question regarding the ignition. I understand there's a safety switch mounted on the firewall. Will this allow the car to be started with the transmission in neutral? The bushing connecting the selector lever to the transmission disintegrated and now it's not connected.

Gerald
1969 300 SEL 6.3 #0795
1958 190 SL
Calgary, AB
Go to Top of Page

Art Love

Australia
6138 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2016 :  20:48:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two belts on the AC compressor. The neutral safety switch allows the car to be started in Park or Neutral.
Go to Top of Page

GeraldK

Canada
88 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2016 :  22:03:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well this belt quantity has got me confused now! Can someone describe the belt routing?

I received 5 belts total in 3 different sizes.
1 - 9.5 x 910
2 - 12.5 x 1125
2 - 12.5 x 1475

The routing that was on the car was:
1 belt from alternator to crank pulley
2 belts from suspension compressor to crank pulley to water pump pulley
1 belt from AC compressor to crank pulley to pulley mounted above AC compressor.

Go to Top of Page

paul-NL

Netherlands
4193 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2016 :  22:22:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
when I see it well:

1 for the alternator
2 for airco
3 for the waterpump / powersteering.

See your Tabellenbooklet 1972 page 230
Go to Top of Page

GeraldK

Canada
88 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2016 :  23:20:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is this single pulley above the compressor not correct? Should there be 2 belts coming up to it?

Gerald
1969 300 SEL 6.3 #0795
1958 190 SL
Calgary, AB

Edited by - GeraldK on 08/06/2017 21:48:35
Go to Top of Page

abl567

Australia
915 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2016 :  02:24:12  Show Profile  Visit abl567's Homepage  Reply with Quote
#2723 has a twin pulley, however it also has the sanden compressor conversion, which muddies the water somewhat.

300SEL
6.3 #2723, my first classic Benz
3.5 #8659, my second.
2 to go...
Go to Top of Page

Art Love

Australia
6138 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2016 :  02:59:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is not "correct". The idler pulley should be a double pulley for the AC belts. If the car was originally delivered in Switzerland, it may have been delivered without factory aircon, so, if aircon was added later, it may explain why it has a single idler pulley. Does it have a "Factory" AC unit in the cabin? I can't remember whether you posted pictures of the front of the interior and I can't see them if you did while posting this.
Art
P.S. I went back and had a look and it is a Factory aircon unit in the cabin, so I can't explain why it has a single idler pulley.

Edited by - Art Love on 08/11/2016 03:03:32
Go to Top of Page

benzman70

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2016 :  06:35:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm guessing that at sometime the double groove idler pulley bearing failed and they replaced it with the single groove pulley from a M117 application.
Go to Top of Page

AgSilver

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2016 :  10:26:42  Show Profile  Visit AgSilver's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have you considered rebuilding the water pump while you have good access to it?

300SEL 6.3
E55 AMG
CLK63 AMG Gone
Ferrari 400GTC4
ML400CDI BiTurbo
ML350 CDI BT
9146GT
Go to Top of Page

GeraldK

Canada
88 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2016 :  14:48:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You guys are wealth of knowledge! I was definitely confused as to where the second belt would get routed to. I'll look in to sourcing the proper idler pulley.

At this time I won't be pulling the water pump. It doesn't appear to have ever been leaking. It also seems to turn smoothly with no play in the shaft.

Gerald
1969 300 SEL 6.3 #0795
1958 190 SL
Calgary, AB
Go to Top of Page

daantjie

Canada
890 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2016 :  00:25:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gerald I might have a bead on a new water pump if you want to go the whole hog. PM me if you are planning on going that route.
Go to Top of Page

AgSilver

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2016 :  11:39:09  Show Profile  Visit AgSilver's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The water pump bearings rarely go bad. It's the internal seal assembly which you can count on failing. I just rebuilt my spare pump. Yes I did replace the bearings with top quality SKF's just for the-peace-of mind. You never know when you will need one.

300SEL 6.3
E55 AMG
CLK63 AMG Gone
Ferrari 400GTC4
ML400CDI BiTurbo
ML350 CDI BT
9146GT
Go to Top of Page

GeraldK

Canada
88 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2016 :  15:14:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I thought I had the engine oil & transmission oil cooler lines, suspension compressor oil feed line sorted out. It seems I can't find anyone local who supplies metric sized hoses. Would anyone have the correct diameters required for these lines? I can then have a look online for them. AgSilver provided a link to one possible supplier. Would it make much difference just using the closest inch diameter hose?

Similarly I thought I had all the cooling water hoses sorted out. I've seen multiple posts going through the forum recommending the MB hoses. However at the local dealer some of these are as much as $190 CAD/m only require minimum purchase of 1m. I've also read that Start Motors used to sell cut to length sets of the hoses. I've sent them an email but have not heard back. Should the generic parts store hose really be the last possible option?

This weekend I also spent some time going through documents that we had for the. My father was always under the impression that it was a European car that was later imported to NA. I'm a bit unsure of this now. The documents do show that the car was originally in Switzerland for the first couple of years. The speedometer and odometer are currently in miles. The service history documents always indicate the odometer reading in miles. So this makes me believe that it was a NA car but maybe they had a European delivery/pickup. The car later went to Vancouver and then to Calgary. The headlamps have the one piece lens. Not sure if this was allowed for the Canadian market.

I will be stopping by my parents place tonight to grab the original bill of sale from my father. With this I'll request the datacard which should sort out the history of the car.

The car also had the PIAA air horns on it but we believe this was added aftermarket. Possibly because of the Nardi steering wheel which doesn't seem like it has a horn button on it. This should be clear as well once I get the datacard.

The documentation also indicates the the motor number is 801.

Gerald
1969 300 SEL 6.3 #0795
1958 190 SL
Calgary, AB
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M-100 Message Board © 2002-2015 International M-100 Group, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06