Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

GeraldK

Canada
88 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2016 :  18:05:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,
I wanted to introduce myself as a new forum member. Iím Gerald from Calgary, AB. I recently took possession of my fathers 1969 300SEL 6.3. He purchased the car about 30 years ago. The whole time that he owned the car he never drove it and it has been garage stored. The engine probably hasnít been run in over 10 years.

To my knowledge it was a European (Switzerland) delivery car and eventually ended up in Canada. The VIN is 109 018 12 000795, which I believe makes it a pretty early model.

Iíve had a chance to browse the forum over the past few weeks and gain some insight on steps to take in order to get the car back on the road. Iíve already had the fuel tank removed and boiled out and have purchased all new rubber fuel hoses and a fuel filter.
I currently have the long body style fuel pump apart and attempting to rebuild it. The pump was not turning due to the 30+ year old fuel in it.

Next steps planned were to flush the steel fuel lines and install the new rubber lines. Not sure if anyone has some tips on replacing the lines to and from the fuel filter. Access seems fairly difficult.

I was also planning on removing the fuel injectors in order to test and flush them out. However I canít seem to get the lines to loosen at the injector and the injection pump. Iíve been spraying the ends with penetrating oil for the past week but still no success. Any tips on getting these removed?

The body has some rust issues which seem common on these cars. Rust areas are the rocker panels, spare tire well and behind the headlights. Doors, hood, trunk, roof and underneath of car are in pretty good condition. Other visible issue is some oil accumulation underneath the injection pump and the front suspension has an audible leak.

Finally a quick thank you to Ali and Francis for helping to sort out a forum sign up issue I was experiencing.

Gerald
1969 300 SEL 6.3 #0795
1958 190 SL
Calgary, AB

daantjie

Canada
890 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2016 :  18:41:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Gerald! Welcome from Vancouver BC! We Canucks are few and far between on the forum.
Good luck you will find tons of help here.
Cheers

Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9
Vancouver, BC
Go to Top of Page

Art Love

Australia
6138 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2016 :  19:36:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe that the only way that you will be able to replace the fuel filter hoses is to take the radiator out. Even changing the fuel filter is a pain in these cars because the engine was not designed to go in the body.

Access to the fuel injector lines is also difficult. It is hard to get any purchase. Even taking the tappet [rocker] covers off to get more room involves unbolting add ons at the front of them, but it may be necessary to give you a bit more leverage room. I have the same problems with #2509 which has not run since 1988 or so. Even getting the spark plugs out without breaking them is an issue. I sometimes use a length of pipe to put over the spanner I am using to give me more length if there is room. I don't have the strength in my hands to do things that my mechanics do on a regular basis. A crows foot spanner attached to a socket wrench with an extension like my piece of pipe is another option.

Good luck,
Art
Go to Top of Page

daantjie

Canada
890 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2016 :  20:01:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you have a clearance as well as a tightness issue. I have no experience with the 6.3 specifically, but a common trick which sometimes works is to try and tighten the connection slightly, before you try and loosen. Sometimes just this slight movement in the opposite direction will work. I also like to use localized heat but for obvious reasons you don't want to bring a flame to your fuel system

Also, what penetrant are you using? WD40 is garbage IMHO. Get some PB Blaster, Canadian Tire stocks it, way better than any other penetrant on the market.
Good luck

Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9
Vancouver, BC
Go to Top of Page

GeraldK

Canada
88 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2016 :  21:21:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daantjie

Hey Gerald! Welcome from Vancouver BC! We Canucks are few and far between on the forum.
Good luck you will find tons of help here.
Cheers

Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9
Vancouver, BC

I can imagine there aren't too many Canucks on here. I don't believe I've seen another 6.3 in Calgary or too many 6.9s.

quote:
Originally posted by Art Love

I believe that the only way that you will be able to replace the fuel filter hoses is to take the radiator out. Even changing the fuel filter is a pain in these cars because the engine was not designed to go in the body.

Access to the fuel injector lines is also difficult. It is hard to get any purchase. Even taking the tappet [rocker] covers off to get more room involves unbolting add ons at the front of them, but it may be necessary to give you a bit more leverage room. I have the same problems with #2509 which has not run since 1988 or so. Even getting the spark plugs out without breaking them is an issue. I sometimes use a length of pipe to put over the spanner I am using to give me more length if there is room. I don't have the strength in my hands to do things that my mechanics do on a regular basis. A crows foot spanner attached to a socket wrench with an extension like my piece of pipe is another option.

Good luck,
Art

Clearance isn't too much of an issue. As you mentioned I've already removed the valve covers and the associated bolt ons. I also have the special MB offset socket to get at the injection lines. I think I will just keep spraying with the penetrating oil and have some patience with it. No need to rush through this.

Also removing the radiator was probably something I wanted to do anyways so I might just hold off until then.

quote:
Originally posted by daantjie

ounds like you have a clearance as well as a tightness issue. I have no experience with the 6.3 specifically, but a common trick which sometimes works is to try and tighten the connection slightly, before you try and loosen. Sometimes just this slight movement in the opposite direction will work. I also like to use localized heat but for obvious reasons you don't want to bring a flame to your fuel system

Also, what penetrant are you using? WD40 is garbage IMHO. Get some PB Blaster, Canadian Tire stocks it, way better than any other penetrant on the market.
Good luck

Definitely using PB Blaster for any stubborn hardware. Will try the trick of giving it a tighten. Using some heat from a heat gun was something I was also considering. Should not create more heat than the engine would normally give off.

Thanks so far for the replies.

Gerald
1969 300 SEL 6.3 #0795
1958 190 SL
Calgary, AB
Go to Top of Page

paul-NL

Netherlands
4193 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  01:39:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Could I recieve some pictures for our registery ??
Go to Top of Page

GeraldK

Canada
88 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  10:25:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paul-NL

Could I recieve some pictures for our registery ??

I was going to post a couple pictures in this thread over the next couple of days. The car is up on blocks with the wheels and front brakes removed. Are there specific pictures that you would want? Is posting them in the thread ok or would you like some sent directly to yourself?

Gerald
1969 300 SEL 6.3 #0795
1958 190 SL
Calgary, AB
Go to Top of Page

paul-NL

Netherlands
4193 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  10:32:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

If possible I would like them send to me , because the seize you can post here is very low.
Go to Top of Page

hughc

Canada
68 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2016 :  22:25:06  Show Profile  Visit hughc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dear Gerald K

Welcome from a far easterner in Nova Scotia !!!!
Hugh Creighton Halifax

1970 and 1971 300 SEL 6.3 and 1965 600 SWB
Go to Top of Page

GeraldK

Canada
88 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2016 :  17:32:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Gerald
1969 300 SEL 6.3 #0795
1958 190 SL
Calgary, AB

Edited by - GeraldK on 08/06/2017 21:36:49
Go to Top of Page

daantjie

Canada
890 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2016 :  19:57:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice indeed
Almost ready to go and scare some Corvette posers

Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9
Vancouver, BC
Go to Top of Page

Ron B

Australia
11545 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2016 :  19:43:20  Show Profile  Visit Ron B's Homepage  Reply with Quote

quote:
12-14-2004, 11:49 PM #8
Tom Hanson
MBCA Member

What the heck, try to stuff a MB 6.9 liter V8 in it. What a machine that would be..

daantjie

Canada
890 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2016 :  23:54:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gerald are you having too much fun at the Stampede and not spending much needed quality time with your new baby?

Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9
Vancouver, BC
Go to Top of Page

GeraldK

Canada
88 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2016 :  00:01:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How did you guess?? At a company event at this very moment. Enjoying drinks and food at the chuck wagon races and grandstand show

Gerald
1969 300 SEL 6.3 #0795
1958 190 SL
Calgary, AB
Go to Top of Page

GeraldK

Canada
88 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2016 :  16:21:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Short update on my progress with the car. I'm ready for re-assembly of the fuel pump. Had 2 new bearings installed on the shaft of the pump. Will do the re-assembly tomorrow and hopefully there won't be any leaks.

The injections lines are finally coming lose. I've got 6 of 8 lose at the injectors and 1 of 8 at the injection pump.

This weekend might also start removal of the radiator and possibly the air compressor and power steering reservoir. The plan is to replace any flexible fuel lines and cooling system hoses.

Is there anything to be aware of in removing the air compressor or any other items? Appears to be a straightforward unbolting procedure.

Gerald
1969 300 SEL 6.3 #0795
1958 190 SL
Calgary, AB
Go to Top of Page

Art Love

Australia
6138 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2016 :  19:40:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes,
Unless you have a very good reason, do not try to pull the double pulley off the air compressor. Do not apply any force to the outer edge of this pulley. It is cast and easily cracked. Take lots of photos as you go. Make notes of how things came apart. It is amazing how, when you go to put things back together, you find a part that can go on one way or another, and you haven't a clue which is right. Catalogue everything and keep the nuts and bolts, washers etc in small plastic bags with labels. If there are two washers on a shaft, note which is which. There should be a support bracket on the power steering pump. It is not immediately apparent from the front. The oil feed to the air compressor sump is via a hole in the bottom with a ring seal on a slotted hole in the support bracket. The adjustor screw for the belts allows that feed to slide. That is all that comes immediately to mind.
Art

P.S. Be aware that the automatic transmission cooler is in the bottom of the radiator, and its hoses have to be disconnected to remove the radiator as well as the usual oil cooler and water hoses. Elevating and covering the ends of the ATF hoses is all that is necessary to protect the transmission.

Edited by - Art Love on 07/15/2016 19:43:50
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M-100 Message Board © 2002-2015 International M-100 Group, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06