Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

joeuserus

Canada
32 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2016 :  15:25:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess I didn't word that very well. What I meant was could I buy 4 of the red sliders, take off the rubber pieces, and rivet the new rubber pieces to the old blue and grey plastic part.
Go to Top of Page

joeuserus

Canada
32 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2016 :  16:58:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Snapped a pic of one of the rear speakers. Deff not OEM. Is the location at least original?? They didn't cut the shelf to add them??

Edited by - joeuserus on 01/14/2016 16:59:17
Go to Top of Page

Aaron H

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2016 :  17:34:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah ok. In that case, yes. Buy four of the least expensive ones and transfer the rubber part over to the blue and smoke colored ones. The rubber parts are all the same.

Regarding your speakers, yes, they're in the correct location. However, the originals are a long oval shape, and the original grills were rectangular in shape, and I now worry that someone hacked out a larger round hole to allow these incorrect ones to fit. Even if this is true, all isn't lost, as a new parcel shelf can be cut and made to have the correct size holes.

I know the early 6.3's had a mono set up....meaning that there was only one speaker. It was located in the top center of the dash. Most of the late ones had stereo I think.....but may not all of them. My point here is if yours didn't have stereo from new, then for it's sake of originality put it back the way it was. If you have a fader knob on the dash, then it had stereo. If there isn't a fader, them it is a mono set up.

I'm not sure whether or not a stereo radio can be made to work in mono mode. Mike can comment on that much better than I. Though, I don't think it's possible given that the left and right channels are separate entities all their own.
Go to Top of Page

AndrewBooty

46 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2016 :  17:57:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all

My 1970 has the original speaker in the dash, and as an extra cost option on the original invoice, a single rear speaker, rectangular in shape, in the center of the parcel shelf (and the speaker balance knob on the dash). I guess one could order dual rear speakers as well? If you do not have a balance knob on the dash, then your car probably just came with one speaker, and someone added both of those in the back.

Andrew
Go to Top of Page

joeuserus

Canada
32 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2016 :  18:11:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These are on the left and right. I'm starting to think the whole parcel shelf might be new/recovered.
Go to Top of Page

Aaron H

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2016 :  21:14:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ed, does your 6.3 have a fader knob somewhere in the vicinity of the headlight switch on the wood part of the dash? The knob will have a little pictorial on it in white showing speakers.
Go to Top of Page

mtrei

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2016 :  23:00:18  Show Profile  Visit mtrei's Homepage  Reply with Quote
US market 6.3s typically came with a four band mono Grand Prix and a single speaker in the dash. Some later models were equipped with a two band Grand Prix stereo with four speakers and a fader.

The rear parcel shelf has perforations for three speakers, left center and right. A stereo equipped car has two rectangular speakers, not the same ones as the rear deck speakers, in the left kick panel under the hood release lever, and on the right side in the plastic shroud around the air conditioner fan.

You cannot drive two channels into a single speaker without creating a smoke machine.

Typical US market 6.3 radio.

Original rear shelf speakers look like this.

In this picture you can see the front right speaker mounted in the AC fan shroud.

Edited by - mtrei on 01/14/2016 23:14:36
Go to Top of Page

hugin

Norway
145 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2016 :  02:47:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My #335 has the fader to the left of the steering wheel, not sure how many speakers.
Too cold to go out and check in -25 C this morning.

1970 300SEL 6.3 #4509 Sold
1968 300SEL 6.3 #0335
1970 230 W114
1978 280E W123
Go to Top of Page

joeuserus

Canada
32 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2016 :  13:06:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No fader knob.
Go to Top of Page

Aaron H

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2016 :  13:15:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If there is no fader knob, then you have two choices. You can continue to have stereo (4 speakers), but you'll have to find a radio that is stereo, (the on in your car now is stereo). BUT.....you'll have to find a fader knob, a speaker wiring harness, and you'll have to buy four new speakers and speaker grills.

Second, you could delete everything and go back to the mono radio, which the car apparently had originally.

I think all of the late production U.S. 6.3's had stereo, but Mike is correct in saying that most were mono. What I find interesting is that you have what looks to be a late production 6.3, but it hasn't stereo. Then again, I've heard of people ordering late production 6.3's in which the specifically requested weird things like No Air conditioning, no leather, and in some cases, no stereo. Anything is possible I suppose.
Go to Top of Page

mtrei

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2016 :  00:38:06  Show Profile  Visit mtrei's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A picture of the front foot well area would give a lot more clues about what was fitted originally. It could well have been a stereo setup, just not with that radio.

Edited by - mtrei on 01/16/2016 00:39:01
Go to Top of Page

Aaron H

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2016 :  17:04:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you talking about the radio currently in the car, or the one that may have come with it? I doubt that the factory would have fitted speakers in the foot well areas if it wasn't meant to have stereo.
Go to Top of Page

Art Love

Australia
6138 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2016 :  19:45:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am following this thread with interest, but I can't help but think that we are losing the plot. Unless your plan is to sit in the car in your garage listening to the radio all day, I think it is largely irrelevant except that it and the centre speaker will need to come out in order to work on your climate control knobs. If this were my car, I would set up a list of priorities to get it running and then worry about the cosmetics. I guess the climate control is a lot more important in the USA than it is down here in the antipodes, but again, the heating and aircon won't work unless the car is running. Working on the climate control is a major undertaking compared to the fuel system, suspension, brakes and ignition. The pleasure of the 6.3 is in the driving - lesser cars have the same heater/aircon and radio.

Do you have access to a hoist where you can get under the car and have a look around? Do the brakes work? etc, etc. These things are much more important.
Art
Go to Top of Page

Jack English

USA
1065 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2016 :  00:09:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My car, # 4768, came with the stereo four speaker radio. I recently had the insides of the radio replaced with a modern electronic radio that retains the origina case and faceplate. This has the right to left and front to back balance on the right knob. No separate fader switch is needed.

Jack English
300SEL 6.3 #4768
Go to Top of Page

joeuserus

Canada
32 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2016 :  17:38:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Art Love

I am following this thread with interest, but I can't help but think that we are losing the plot. Unless your plan is to sit in the car in your garage listening to the radio all day, I think it is largely irrelevant except that it and the centre speaker will need to come out in order to work on your climate control knobs. If this were my car, I would set up a list of priorities to get it running and then worry about the cosmetics. I guess the climate control is a lot more important in the USA than it is down here in the antipodes, but again, the heating and aircon won't work unless the car is running. Working on the climate control is a major undertaking compared to the fuel system, suspension, brakes and ignition. The pleasure of the 6.3 is in the driving - lesser cars have the same heater/aircon and radio.

Do you have access to a hoist where you can get under the car and have a look around? Do the brakes work? etc, etc. These things are much more important.
Art

You're deff right Art but it's just a bit too cold to work on the car and not enough room to work on it without the garage door being open. So for now it's just figure out what I can. Order some parts and then once it's consistently above freezing make some room in the garage and then get the car up in the air.

As much as I'd like to return the stereo/speakers back to original, it more than likely wont happen anytime soon. I do still want to know what's been changed on the car though.

Edited by - joeuserus on 01/17/2016 17:43:53
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M-100 Message Board © 2002-2015 International M-100 Group, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06