Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

ctmaher

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2016 :  12:33:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aaron, is this old timer leather shown on the GAHH website?

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Aaron H

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2016 :  00:34:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At the moment, none of the oldtimer leather appears to be shown on their website. The only reason I came to know about it is because I received and updated product/price list in the mail, and this "oldtimer" leather was advertised in this article of mail.
Go to Top of Page

mpmorris

USA
1296 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2016 :  10:47:55  Show Profile  Visit mpmorris's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aaron --any update on your leather process?
Go to Top of Page

ctmaher

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2016 :  12:40:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Aaron, did you ever receive your samples from GAHH? and if so, how did they compare to the real thing?

Chris
Go to Top of Page

dbtk

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2016 :  20:25:46  Show Profile  Visit dbtk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have yet to see a decent Cognac replacement leather.

1972 Mercedes 600 #2137
2011 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
2014 Mercedes CLA250
2015 VW Golf R
2015 Mercedes S550 4Matic
Go to Top of Page

AgSilver

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2016 :  00:32:25  Show Profile  Visit AgSilver's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Around 1979 I purchased a complete set of hides from Mercedes which I kept in storage until I resurrected my 109 project in 2005. The amazing fragrance of the interior cannot be replicated with today's new production leather. I continuously apply Lexol and a product called Black Magic which contains petroleum distillates. As you can see, so far, so good.

[URL=http://s1213.photobucket.com/user/Ag171717/media/DSC_0162A_zpscqj08zzz.jpg.html][/URL]

300SEL 6.3
E55 AMG
CLK63 AMG Gone
Ferrari 400GTC4
ML400CDI BiTurbo
ML350 CDI BT
9146GT
Go to Top of Page

Aaron H

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2016 :  03:52:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AG Silver, I'm horribly concerned about your use of a petroleum distillate based product on surface dyed leather from a Roser Tannery. In general, using anything with petroleum distillates on surfaced dyed leather, or any leather, is a horrible thing to do. Over time, the petroleum distillates will break down the binding fibers of the skin, and the leather will literally fall apart and/or turn into mush. One must remember that leather is skin; it's an organic substance.

What happens when an area of the human body is constantly exposed to a petroleum product? The first thing that happens is that the petroleum product is absorbed into the skin. After being exposed long enough, the area becomes inflamed. All the while, the inorganic petroleum product interrupts the life cycle of skin cells. The result of this is an overabundance of free radicals. Much more than our bodies can handle. At this point, the homeostasis of the human body is interrupted, and cancer prevails.

Now, I realize that a tanned cow hide is no longer a living organism, and that a Bovine hide or German Bull hide is of a different make up than human skin, but most mammals share distinctive features, both physically and dermatologically. However, introducing something like a petroleum product can and will expedite the aging process of a postmortem hide.

In essence, a postmortem hide can still be damaged, even after it has been tanned and preserved. Stick with the Lexol or Leartherique. You're leather will last much longer. :)
Go to Top of Page

AgSilver

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2016 :  11:19:27  Show Profile  Visit AgSilver's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron H

AG Silver, I'm horribly concerned about your use of a petroleum distillate based product on surface dyed leather from a Roser Tannery. In general, using anything with petroleum distillates on surfaced dyed leather, or any leather, is a horrible thing to do. Over time, the petroleum distillates will break down the binding fibers of the skin, and the leather will literally fall apart and/or turn into mush. One must remember that leather is skin; it's an organic substance.

What happens when an area of the human body is constantly exposed to a petroleum product? The first thing that happens is that the petroleum product is absorbed into the skin. After being exposed long enough, the area becomes inflamed. All the while, the inorganic petroleum product interrupts the life cycle of skin cells. The result of this is an overabundance of free radicals. Much more than our bodies can handle. At this point, the homeostasis of the human body is interrupted, and cancer prevails.

Now, I realize that a tanned cow hide is no longer a living organism, and that a Bovine hide or German Bull hide is of a different make up than human skin, but most mammals share distinctive features, both physically and dermatologically. However, introducing something like a petroleum product can and will expedite the aging process of a postmortem hide.

In essence, a postmortem hide can still be damaged, even after it has been tanned and preserved. Stick with the Lexol or Leartherique. You're leather will last much longer. :)

Clearly, your knowledge of leather care is far greater than mine and I really appreciate your concern and that you took the time to comment extensively.

I do, however, need to correct what I said about "petroleum distillates." After re-reading the product's label, it actually refers to "petroleum products." Additionally, I note that "Connolly Hide Food/Care" also contains petroleum products. I can only say that these 20+ year old hides to date show no signs of deterioration whatsoever.

300SEL 6.3
E55 AMG
CLK63 AMG Gone
Ferrari 400GTC4
ML400CDI BiTurbo
ML350 CDI BT
9146GT
Go to Top of Page

mtrei

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2016 :  15:51:43  Show Profile  Visit mtrei's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am a big fan of Leatherique products. Expensive, but worth every penny.

http://www.leatherique.com/
Go to Top of Page

KipF

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2016 :  01:30:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron H

At the moment, none of the oldtimer leather appears to be shown on their website. The only reason I came to know about it is because I received and updated product/price list in the mail, and this "oldtimer" leather was advertised in this article of mail.

If you contact them (GAHH), they will send you a sample. I'm going with old-timer in mine and am quite happy with the sample they sent. It's MUCH thicker and has a nice grain to it. It's the closest to original as I have been able to find.

1966 230SL
1969 300SEL #1703
1985 300TD
1990 350SDL
2002 SL500
2008 GL320 CDI
2009 GL320 BT - SOLD
Go to Top of Page

Aaron H

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2016 :  14:11:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
KiPf: I'm glad you got the Oldtimer samples.....I've been trying to get samples from them for months now. I eventually gave up and found two other places that sell the same product as GAHH. The Cognac has much to be desired, but all of the other colors are spot on, and the grain, sheen, and texture are also correct.

AGSILVER, thank you for the kind words. I only know what I know because I made a lot of mistakes in the past. ;) Mike also speaks words of wisdom. The Leatherique is fantastic for this particular type of leather. In a pinch, you could also use Mink oil, as that is the main ingredient in Leatherique.

I have enough samples to post some pictures of now, and I will. It's just such an ordeal to resize every single picture. I'll do it though. Too many of you have been patiently waiting.
Go to Top of Page

KipF

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2016 :  18:55:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aaron, I have a sample of the black Old Timer. I can take a pic and post here or email to you for you to use with the others. It's MUCH thicker than other samples I have seen. David Latham will be installing new carpet and hides in the 6.3 in the upcoming weeks. I can ask him for some photos of the process if anyone thinks it would be helpful.

1966 230SL
1969 300SEL #1703
1985 300TD
1990 350SDL
2002 SL500
2008 GL320 CDI
2009 GL320 BT - SOLD
Go to Top of Page

RANDYS

Australia
487 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2016 :  05:01:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How does one go about getting part of a hide?

I see that GAHH 's minimum is half a hide of about 25 sq feet at xyz $/sq foot and it makes it about a US $400 purchase.
I only want 4/5 sq feet for a repair.

I am trying to find a GAHH Agent in Aust but that's a work in progress.

As an alternative: does any one have some left over from their job?
I seek Salerno pebble blue for my '78 6.9.

Tks
Go to Top of Page

Aaron H

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2016 :  13:54:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Randy, I believe you can buy direct from GAHH, and on-line, too. Unless someone has some left over from a job, most places won't sell less than half a hide anyway. This old timer leather will not be correct for your W116. That's not to say that old timer leather wouldn't look good in a W1167, as it would look spectacular. If you're ok with that, them all the better.

For W116 chassis, the best examples i've found for them are made by a company called HANS REINKE. They're based in Hamburg, DE, but have other facilities throughout Europe. They'll only sell to trim shops, though, so you'd have to go that route. For the blue you're looking for I'd recommend they're 9122 dunkelblau.

As a matter of fact, HANS REINKE is who is making the old timer leather.

KIPF, I have the samples, I just didn't get them from GAHH. You're welcome to post anything you wish, but when I finally post all of my findings, the black will be covered anyway. Thank you for the thoughtfulness. :)

Edited by - Aaron H on 05/16/2016 13:57:55
Go to Top of Page

AgSilver

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2016 :  02:07:06  Show Profile  Visit AgSilver's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Recently I have seen some outstanding interior restorations. One being a W109 6.3 and the other a 1961 300SL roadster. The only item lacking on both restorations was the original fragrance of the DB leather. It's good, but it just ain't the same.

300SEL 6.3
E55 AMG
CLK63 AMG Gone
Ferrari 400GTC4
ML400CDI BiTurbo
ML350 CDI BT
9146GT
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M-100 Message Board © 2002-2015 International M-100 Group, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.83 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06