new/old fella
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Aaron H

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2015 :  19:11:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey all. I'm new to the forum, but not new to M-100 or vintage Mercedes by any stretch of the imagination. I've by own business, DAS AUTO SHOPPPE, in Knoxville, TN. I've been playing with vintage Mercedes for about 20 years. I'm an introvert to the nth degree. I don't show my cars, I don't attend events anymore. Most have no idea I exist, but that's ok. I've a backlog as we speak, and don't want anymore work for a while.

I became a member because I recently purchased a 6.3. After reading a lot of the posts on here, I think I can offer a lot to you fellas as time progresses. My head is chock full of information that most would find useless, but not us.

The extent of who I already know on here are Mike Trei, Martin, Keith Morgan, and Luis. Mike has been a wonderful friend for several years, Martin may be helping me with some machine work on my suspension air pump, and I've been buying various parts from Luis for the engine. Keith is a lovely fella that is as passionate as I am about our labours of love. After almost 20 years of hoarding NOS parts for W108/W109, W111/W112 Cp/Cb, W113, and W100 cars, I quickly realized that my stock of actual M-100 engine parts was rather negligible, to say the least. These fellas have been a tremendous source for what I need.

So I'm sure you fellas are dying to know about my find. It's a 1971 W109 6.3. Papyrus white with black leather and ebony. 97,000 original miles. I've known about the car for nearly 15 years. Up until about 3 weeks ago, it sat in the same spot for 26 years with the engine out of it. The engine was removed to repair broken exhaust manifold studs, which was done, but never given another thought to afterward. I'm a bit skeptical about the interior, as the interior trim code is 242, which is dark red leather and carpet. The only thing dark red in the car is the dash. I can see no evidence of the interior having ever been changed. Code 242 calls for crème colored sun visors and headliner, but mine are hell grau, or bright grey. Everything is coinciding with trim code 241, but 242 is what is on the data card. Then again, maybe someone did change it and did a really good job, but why do all of that and leave the dash dark red? Regardless, It's definitely got good bones.

No rust, except under the battery tray. Since the engine is out, I'm going to go ahead and do a valve job. In addition, I'll be repainting the engine block. All of the aluminum has been cleaned and etched. The amount of caked up oil preserved the smooth cast aluminum parts very well, and no sand or media blasting was done. All of the hardware is being refinished the correct yellow and clear zinc chromate, and all of the original clamps done in zinc without passivation to attain the correct look.

Currently, I'm cleaning and inspecting the front axle. Thus far, the only excessive wear I see is on the right side in all of the bushings. King pins are not too worn, so I'll just order new king pin bushings. In the trunk of the car were a NOS set of sub frame mounts and a motor mount kit. Sub frame mounts are inexpensive enough that if I think the NOS ones are too hard and old I'll order new. The motor mount kit....lets just say I'll take my chances. A new kit is nearly $1,000. I cannot stand highway robbery. I refuse to pay the going rate for some of these parts. There is no excuse.

Have any of you seen how overzealous people are on ebay with prices as well? Just last night I saw a NOS hood star on ebay for $93. Now, that's not horribly expensive, but the current list price is only $83, and my cost is $59.40. Some dealerships have an additional pricing matrix that allows for prices above suggested list from Mercedes. These people on ebay aren't dealerships. It's a shame the world is so full of greedy, cut-throat people. :/

I need engine decals. Any good sources you fellas know of? The place in England only has decal kits for the W113 and other 6 cylinder models. I'm all ears here.

Alas, I'm happy to belong to such a seeming lovely group of people. My time is yours, and I hope to start and/or be a part of many discussions on everything from a to z. I love to help, and I love teaching and spreading the knowledge, but only to those who appreciate what I have to offer, naturally. There are only 3 things that I cannot offer advice on: Paintwork, Chrome plating, and wood work, but only because I haven't the ability to do these things. I can definitely tell you where to go to get these items done. The rest, I'm happy to do all myself. I think one of my favorite things to do is carpet and leather work. I'm currently re-finishing the interior in a W112 coupe at the moment. It's like a drug to me...I can't get enough. haha. Nonetheless, Thank all of you for having an interest, especially if you've read this far. I can be long winded, but I've a lot to say. :) Cheers, AARON

Art Love

Australia
6080 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2015 :  20:10:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome. Neil Dubey at Star Motors in Endicott NY has engine decals.
Art
Go to Top of Page

mtrei

USA
3704 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2015 :  23:06:58  Show Profile  Visit mtrei's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome Aaron.

If Neil doesn't work out, the MBIG in Germany has sticker sets, although they are for Euro models.

http://www.mbig.eu/Aufklebersatz-W-109-300-SEL-63
Go to Top of Page

Aaron H

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2015 :  23:11:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Art. I'll call Neil tomorrow and see what he has to offer.

AS time allows, I'll post some pictures. They won't be pretty, as the car has 26 years of dirt on it with insulation piled up on top of it. (fell out from the ceiling above it over the years)
Go to Top of Page

Aaron H

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2015 :  23:12:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike. I'll have a look at them. I don't mind German text if we can't get the English ones.
Go to Top of Page

paul-NL

Netherlands
4167 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2015 :  02:15:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

NOTE that the mentioned ignitiontimes on those stickers for the euroversions DIFFERS from the USversions (fitted with the black boxes VIN above 002840)
Go to Top of Page

Ron B

Australia
11488 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2015 :  04:07:13  Show Profile  Visit Ron B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome to M100 world of pain

quote:
12-14-2004, 11:49 PM #8
Tom Hanson
MBCA Member

What the heck, try to stuff a MB 6.9 liter V8 in it. What a machine that would be..

Aaron H

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2015 :  12:24:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah. I saw the different ignition timing sticker. And, since my VIN is 005xxx, it has these black boxes. Thanks for pointing that out.

Ron, after a while, the pain subsides. ;)

I was looking to order the sliding chain rail for the oil pump chain today, and discovered two things. The oil pump chain is still available, and the oil pump sliding rail for the chain is no longer available. :/ Does anybody have one?
Go to Top of Page

wallie

Netherlands
108 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2015 :  05:56:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello AaronH and welcome,

I've been looking into this as well, and read on the forum that the original, wich was about 200$ is no longer available. But pjtigger tried a 116 part and it seems to work ok and only costs a couple of bucks. here's a link:
http://www.m-100.co/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6088&SearchTerms=oil,pump,chain,tensioner

The original may seem to look ok but i'm afraid with the age of the plastic that it may break apart so i think i'm going to use this as an alternative to the original part.

Wolter.
Go to Top of Page

Aaron H

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2015 :  21:48:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the tip, Walter! I'll order one and try to replicate what pjtigger did. I find it odd that something like this isn't available when other things like the oil pump drive chain and the crankshaft gear are available. I do wonder if the lack of the grooves on the newer one will make a difference in the alignment of the chain as it goes around.....
Go to Top of Page

Ron B

Australia
11488 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2015 :  22:41:42  Show Profile  Visit Ron B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I replaced mine about 10 years ago.. total waste of time because the chain was unworn after 300,000 miles and the old rail was identical to the new one with no signs of wear..

quote:
12-14-2004, 11:49 PM #8
Tom Hanson
MBCA Member

What the heck, try to stuff a MB 6.9 liter V8 in it. What a machine that would be..

Aaron H

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2015 :  01:03:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I'm not opposed to putting the old one back in if I know it won't fall apart over time. Given that yours had 300,000+ miles on it and it looked the same as the new one, that's definitely promising. Mine only has 97,000 on the engine, but from the looks of the inside of the engine, oil changes weren't important to the previous owner.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M-100 Message Board © 2002-2015 International M-100 Group, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06