M-100 Message Board
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 M-100 Message Forum
 Which laundaulet is the best barn find so far?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

HistoryBuff

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2014 :  10:27:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am a historian always looking for barn find cars to write about. I would like to do a 600 laundalet (I keep wanting to spell it landaulette) but even after reading all the posts in this subject thread there weren't too many prices mentioned. A local one was a rumor that a shop called Trend Imports in Manhattan Beach bought
Nicolae Ceausescu's car meeting him at some border with a bag of cash. Don't know if that's true. Like to do King Bongo's car just because of his name but in order to zero in on a particular car, need to now what it was sold for at its lowest price. The third likely candidate is also local to Los Angeles--the Hussein car. Was that driven out before Hussein fell or after and does anybody know what the price to the Museum was--or was it donated, thereby somebody getting a nice tax break?

paul-NL

Netherlands
4194 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2014 :  17:05:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
imho none of these mentioned three cars can be called a "barn find" .....

Go to Top of Page

mtrei

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2014 :  00:31:29  Show Profile  Visit mtrei's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Only 59 Landaulets were made in total, so the number that may have been considered derelict at some point in time can probably be counted on the fingers of one hand.

The whereabouts of most of the Landaulets is known. There are also several where the location is known, but the numbers are not, such as the two in North Korea.

This list shows four in derelict condition. Two are ex-Mobutu, and two other two are also ex-African.

http://www.m-100.cc/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4789
Go to Top of Page

HistoryBuff

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2014 :  11:15:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe the best one to write about as a barn find is Chassis 1217, owned by Nicolae Ceaucescu, sold in Phoenix in 2006 for $300,000, plus 10% buyer's premium. I thought this was the one rumored to be bought by Al Mardikian, a Manhattan Beach exotics car dealer, in a meeting at some border where it was bought for cash? I don't know if the car was a U.S.-spec. model at the time so if it wasn't it would have to have a DOT conversion to be registered in the U.S. Anybody know how the car got from Rumania to the U.S. and did it leave that country while Ceascescu was still alive?

On a related subject, the ruler of North Korea, in some parade I saw on TV also has a dumpy American limo like an old Lincoln stretch limo, hardly worthy of being parked even near a 600 laudaulet
Go to Top of Page

Ron B

Australia
11545 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2014 :  04:26:27  Show Profile  Visit Ron B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Around 10 years ago I spoke with a guy in Romania who had first hand knowledge of the car .In his opinion it was most likely stolen from Romania in the turbulent times after N C was deposed and executed. As in most cases of items being stolen and moved to the countries,the original owner /owners still own it. That might explain how the guy in the US made up a little sale blurb to disguise the origin of the car.

Another landau was in the hands of Tito's mob.

quote:
12-14-2004, 11:49 PM #8
Tom Hanson
MBCA Member

What the heck, try to stuff a MB 6.9 liter V8 in it. What a machine that would be..

Ron B

Australia
11545 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2014 :  04:35:37  Show Profile  Visit Ron B's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Nixon In Belgrade.

quote:
Tom Hanson
MBCA Member

What the heck, try to stuff a MB 6.9 liter V8 in it. What a machine that would be..

HistoryBuff

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2014 :  12:35:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who makes the rules for if you can keep war booty what is sometimes called "fortunes of war?
I would worry, if I bought that car (only speaking theoretically, as a historain not an actual buyer) that someday the Romanian government could come up and say :"We want our national treasure back." In recent years, someone who bought a pre war Mercedes 500 or 540K had to give back the car to the prewar family that it was stolen from during the war. But that was a private family's car. So far the German government has not asked for the return of the cars of various Nazi officials that were taken by US armed forces during the war, such as the Goering 540K (Blue Goose) which I am also researching. But I am surprised a reputable auction company would take on the sale of the ex-Ceausecu car if there wasn't a bill of sale to show it changed hands legally. Of course when these dictators leave Dodge in a hurry they don't have time to sell each and every bit of their treasure....
Anyone have an opinion of the Ceausescu car was "legally" obtained?
Go to Top of Page

Ian Keers

United Kingdom
407 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2014 :  13:31:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The main thing you need to record in your writings is that pretty well al these Landaulets were originally owned or used by utter bastards. A more unpleasant clientele would be difficult to find.

Ian Keers
United Kingdom
Go to Top of Page

HistoryBuff

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2014 :  11:44:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now, Ian, tread lightly lad, one of the pictures here shows HRH in one, you would think the British royalty would stick strictly to RR and Bentley but I believe I've seen two pictures of the Royal Rolls conking out en route.

Seriously I will mention that, because I feel the same "curse of image due to former owner" falls on a handful of prewar German cars like the 500K or 540K where the car might be a fine car but it's who owned it that is a downer to mention at a concours. Fortunately for some like the Jack Warner 540K that was bought before the war and brought to Calif. so it has no onus.

But even without the "bad owner" image, there is the "too much of a celebrity" image where no matter where you go in it people will crowd around to see what celebrity is in the car.
Go to Top of Page

Ian Keers

United Kingdom
407 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2014 :  13:40:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haha! Point taken. It is a curious fact though, the 600 Pullmans and Landaulets held a special fascination for Despots of the world. North Korean State TV coverage of Parades attended by their Great Leader show he still has a couple of runners.

You are absolutely correct about HM Queen being transported in one during a state visit to Berlin some years ago.

Ian Keers
United Kingdom
Go to Top of Page

Ron B

Australia
11545 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2014 :  17:22:58  Show Profile  Visit Ron B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Apart from the Kims, no leader would dare ride in a landau today

quote:
Tom Hanson
MBCA Member

Art Love

Australia
6139 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2014 :  17:49:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Both the North Korean cars were restored in Fellbach within the last 10 years while the peasants starved.
Art
Go to Top of Page

mtrei

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2014 :  00:00:35  Show Profile  Visit mtrei's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ron B

Apart from the Kims, no leader would dare ride in a landau today

Paul Biya of Cameroon still tools around in his.

http://youtu.be/StGh1P3U_Ic?t=1m15s

as does the Sultan of Johor.

http://youtu.be/k00Zg2h_-08?t=22s

Edited by - mtrei on 04/12/2014 00:05:30
Go to Top of Page

benz_head

USA
447 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2014 :  10:45:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These cars still haven't been replaced, so why wouldn't they use them?

benz_head
Go to Top of Page

mtrei

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2014 :  21:17:24  Show Profile  Visit mtrei's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wonder how many of these they sold?

Go to Top of Page

benz_head

USA
447 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2014 :  10:58:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is that custom, or did Mercedes offer it?

benz_head
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M-100 Message Board © 2002-2015 International M-100 Group, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06