Page: of 12

paul-NL

Netherlands
4193 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2010 :  16:52:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So here is a (free) translation:

Der Tekst:

Babushka Hand ...
.. gehoert unter die wenige Anzahl Eigentuemer des Mercedes-Benz 660 Landaulet. Der <<Super 600>> war vorher das meist bewunderte Ausstellungsstueck von Mercedes-Benz Frankreich.
Die erste Reise von Babushka Hand mitten durch Paris ist eine grosser ufsehenerregender Fahrt vor allem wegen der verlokerte Bezauberung von Babushka Hand, die sichrelich, nein ohne Rede/Zweifel, eine bestgekleidete Frau/Mannequin in der Welt. Charles van Rensselaer, Redakteur von Palm Beach Post, benachdrueckte an dieses Object << Das ist das Fahrzeug von die Grossen dieser Welt. Welch ein Vergnuegen fuer die kleine und attractive Babushka um durch dies Fahrzeug zu huepfen>>

Bemerke noch, dass diese Landaulet ist ausgestattet mit zwei Telefonen, eine Stereoanlage mit 10 Lautsprechern, ein Cassettenspieler, eine Bar, eine Klima-anlage und ein Farbfernseher.

The text:

Babushka Hand ...
... counts to the few owners of Mercedes-Benz 600 Landaulet. The <<Super 600>> was short before the most admired exhibitioned car of Mercedes-Benz France.
The first drive of Babushka Hand through the middle of Paris was a great and attractive show especially because the welldressed and famous Lady. Charles Rensselaer, writer of Palm Beach Post, stipulated << This is the car of the Great in this World >> What a pleassens for the little and attractive Babushka to dribble around this car.

Attention, that this Landaulet is equiped with two telephones, a stereo-indstallation with ten speakers, a cassetterecorder/-player, a bar, an airco-installation and a color-TV.

And now the most important:

That last discription of the interior FITS exactly with the shown and added images from the interior ....

Thank you Willfried for that additional info.

What can we learn about this ??
a. that white Landaulet is a euro-version (Kmh-clock)
b. the Landaulet in the background could defenitly be no 1634 from Mr Glass, already the foglights mounted, which are not yet shown on the factory press-pictures.
c. Mrs Hand's 6door Landaulet must be produced around the same time, which should have a Vin around 1650 ....

Edited by - paul-NL on 01/28/2010 18:32:40
Go to Top of Page

paul-NL

Netherlands
4193 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2010 :  13:43:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You will all remember an earlier posting from Will with this picture:

In Aller Welt No 101 (oct/nov 1969) I found a interesting picture / posting.

King Bhumibol's Landaulet

it LOOKS like the same car, but is NOT. On that shown picture is an older version shown with smaller hub caps, no fog-lights an an other location for the flagstafs, egg-mirrors, black licensplate ....
That could mean, there are two such Landaulets ....

And finaly a picture in colour from a "(first??)" 6 door RHD-presidential (Brunei-car)

Edited by - paul-NL on 02/11/2010 21:46:33
Go to Top of Page

Ron B

Australia
11545 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  16:54:29  Show Profile  Visit Ron B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Curiosity got the better of me and I had to look up the name Babushka Hand, From Palm Beach as it happens and she was married in 1970 to Mr Eddie Hand. Does this mean that somewhere in the USA a very 'specced up' Landau is hiding?
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1961&dat=19700809&id=5YYhAAAAIBAJ&sjid=FZcFAAAAIBAJ&pg=6690,1508841

quote:
Originally posted by paul-NL

So here is a (free) translation:

Der Tekst:

Babushka Hand ...
.. gehoert unter die wenige Anzahl Eigentuemer des Mercedes-Benz 660 Landaulet. Der <<Super 600>> war vorher das meist bewunderte Ausstellungsstueck von Mercedes-Benz Frankreich.
Die erste Reise von Babushka Hand mitten durch Paris ist eine grosser ufsehenerregender Fahrt vor allem wegen der verlokerte Bezauberung von Babushka Hand, die sichrelich, nein ohne Rede/Zweifel, eine bestgekleidete Frau/Mannequin in der Welt. Charles van Rensselaer, Redakteur von Palm Beach Post, benachdrueckte an dieses Object << Das ist das Fahrzeug von die Grossen dieser Welt. Welch ein Vergnuegen fuer die kleine und attractive Babushka um durch dies Fahrzeug zu huepfen>>

Bemerke noch, dass diese Landaulet ist ausgestattet mit zwei Telefonen, eine Stereoanlage mit 10 Lautsprechern, ein Cassettenspieler, eine Bar, eine Klima-anlage und ein Farbfernseher.

The text:

Babushka Hand ...
... counts to the few owners of Mercedes-Benz 600 Landaulet. The <<Super 600>> was short before the most admired exhibitioned car of Mercedes-Benz France.
The first drive of Babushka Hand through the middle of Paris was a great and attractive show especially because the welldressed and famous Lady. Charles Rensselaer, writer of Palm Beach Post, stipulated << This is the car of the Great in this World >> What a pleassens for the little and attractive Babushka to dribble around this car.

Attention, that this Landaulet is equiped with two telephones, a stereo-indstallation with ten speakers, a cassetterecorder/-player, a bar, an airco-installation and a color-TV.

And now the most important:

That last discription of the interior FITS exactly with the shown and added images from the interior ....

Thank you Willfried for that additional info.

What can we learn about this ??
a. that white Landaulet is a euro-version (Kmh-clock)
b. the Landaulet in the background could defenitly be no 1634 from Mr Glass, already the foglights mounted, which are not yet shown on the factory press-pictures.
c. Mrs Hand's 6door Landaulet must be produced around the same time, which should have a Vin around 1650 ....

quote:
12-14-2004, 11:49 PM #8
Tom Hanson
MBCA Member

What the heck, try to stuff a MB 6.9 liter V8 in it. What a machine that would be..

paul-NL

Netherlands
4193 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  10:25:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the weekend I studied the results, we found so far and compared it with the factory-overview .....

6 doors with short softtop there are produced 4 according that overview; 4 LHD and non RHD.

What do we have at this moment so far :
RHD: 1634 - 1894 - 2283 - 2316 - white in Paris - black Bulgarian - Babushka Hand's
LHD: 1743

So that overview we can put in the "our round archive", because it is defenitly false .......

SWB 4 door : 830
LWB 4 door : 362 Popecar

LWB 4d ShortSofttop LHD : 237 - 894 - 1096 - 1129 - 2165 - first produced - Mao's - S-KE600
LWB 4d ShortSofttop RHD : 2020 - Bhumibol's 1 - Bhumibol's 2

LWB 4d LongSofttop LHD : 1784
LWB 4d LongSofttop RHD : 1942

LWB 6d ShortSofttop LHD : 1634 - 1894 - 2283 - 2316 - white in Paris - Bulgarian - Babushka Hand's
LWB 6d ShortSofttop RHD : 1743

LWB 6d LongSofttop LHD : 896 - 1217 - 1854 - 1879 - 2541
LWB 6d LongSofttop RHD : 603 - 2657(Johor)

Edited by - paul-NL on 03/11/2013 16:08:13
Go to Top of Page

espejor

Spain
126 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  12:18:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just came home from a very pleasant trip to Germany for a meeting with several friends.

As my wife got to bed, I quick checked my Email and got a new Vin and pictures of a Landaulet in London for auction soon.

it is LHD no 1129 with short softtop in black with red leather.
I will add this also on page 1 in the overview.

Do you have more news about this Landaulet? I agree with you and I think that this car war owned by Mobutu, because it's black and red (as all Mobutu's 600):

Maybe this Landaulet is the Landaulet of this photo:

How many 600 had Mobutu? He had a collection!

Another photo of this Landaulet that you have listed:

Go to Top of Page

paul-NL

Netherlands
4193 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  15:16:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
About 001129 today in Stuttgart and yes it is an ex Mobutu's :

So it is clair now, that that car gets a full restauration by the Classic Centre in Stuttgart ...
Go to Top of Page

espejor

Spain
126 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  15:32:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

You will all remember an earlier posting from Will with this picture:

In Aller Welt No 101 (oct/nov 1969) I found a interesting picture / posting.

King Bhumibol's Landaulet

it LOOKS like the same car, but is NOT. On that shown picture is an older version shown with smaller hub caps, no fog-lights an an other location for the flagstafs, egg-mirrors, black licensplate ....

And finaly a picture in colour from a "(first??)" 6 door RHD-presidential (Brunei-car)

I guess that the two Landaulet are the same, because the plates are the same (only changes the color).

I'm very happy to know of the restoration of Mobutu's Landaulet =) SGS tuned very good Mobutu's 600, but I prefer them in its original condition ;)

Regards and thanks for the info!
Go to Top of Page

espejor

Spain
126 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2010 :  12:41:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is 2283 from Zaire (ex Africa)? I'm confused

Edited by - paul-NL on 03/20/2012 15:29:34
Go to Top of Page

paul-NL

Netherlands
4193 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2010 :  17:50:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So,

we saw earlier, that the Landaulet of Babushka Hand had a white interior and white curtains.

So this is defenitly an other Landaulet ......

That makes three unidentified white 6doors Landaulets with a short softtop.
1. French/Paris with brown interior (see page 2)
2. Babushka Hand with white interior (see page 7)
3. Californian Landaulet (shown above) with black or darkblue interior

Edited by - paul-NL on 05/23/2010 18:03:19
Go to Top of Page

paul-NL

Netherlands
4193 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2010 :  18:24:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One Member of the club emailed me immidiatly after posting these last pictures with some aditional info about the car.

This a 1974 Landaulet and was ordered by the Swiss Ambassady in Austria .... So that should bring the Vin in the range 0023xx.

Thanks very much for that helpfull Info ..

Edited by - paul-NL on 05/25/2010 18:25:04
Go to Top of Page

S class

South Africa
943 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  03:48:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paul,

Do you have this Laundalet on record? It has recently come up for auction.

http://rumors.automobilemag.com/6635908/classic-cars/fit-for-a-king-omar-bongo-s-mercedes-benz-600-landaulet-up-for-auction/index.html

Go to Top of Page

paul-NL

Netherlands
4193 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  09:17:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yepp,

it is 1096
Go to Top of Page

basman007

Netherlands
10 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  16:59:42  Show Profile  Visit basman007's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'll see if I can look into that...

+1 thread
Go to Top of Page

will

Germany
63 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2010 :  16:11:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
did you know, that North Corea owns two identic Landaulets. Look at this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU8_nOoBjZk.
Greetings

Go to Top of Page

rialto9

Australia
53 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2010 :  03:00:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Will.

I wonder what the symbolic meaning of the 2 cars arriving from opposite directions but leaving in the same direction was ? Why did the army generals use the 600s instead of military vehicles. Always thought that the 600s were reserved for the party bosses. Also in the clip was a Geländewagen W460.

Paul, do you have the VINs of the 2 cars ?

Cheers,
Walter
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M-100 Message Board © 2002-2015 International M-100 Group, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06