Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

mtrei

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2008 :  18:52:19  Show Profile  Visit mtrei's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by paul-NL

Still unclear to me if it is normal Ahorn or Vogelaugen Ahorn, while one fellow called it Vogelaugen Ahorn, but in which last case it should have pickels in the quirled Ahorn

Another resurrected old thread!

Actually it's both. Ahorn is German for maple, and Vogelaugenahorn is birdseye maple, which is what you see on the inside surface of the door. The outside veneer would normally be called quilted, flamed, or curly maple. So my original assesment was correct.

I still don't accept that it's original to the car however.
Go to Top of Page

paul-NL

Netherlands
4315 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2008 :  19:09:44  Show Profile
I agree that the chrome strip on the wood seems not to be original. That chrome strip belongs only on the first W108 250-ers and may be on the first W109 300 SE L 3.0 Ltr.

The early 6.3 had a plastic strip like the top of the dash. May be the owner let it change to the chrome strip. But the wood is original.

Never tooo old to learn Did not know that maple is the translation for ahorn !

Edited by - paul-NL on 07/27/2008 19:18:09
Go to Top of Page

mtrei

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2008 :  20:47:41  Show Profile  Visit mtrei's Homepage
There are a couple of reasons why I have a hard time believing the wood is original.

This is a later car with power window switches between the seats, but in addition to the early style metal dash strip, both the glove box door and the ashtray are the early style with a single flat piece of wood. Look at the picture of the later car with a green interior to see how the later style ashtray and door are completely different. If this is the original maple finish, when they converted the dash to the early style, they would have had to reveneer an early style ashtray face and glove box door to match the original color, wood grain, and finish perfectly, an almost impossible task. Also, the back of the glovebox door was always plain brown with a satin finish, not veneered and with a high gloss like this car.

Edited by - mtrei on 07/27/2008 20:50:49
Go to Top of Page

paul-NL

Netherlands
4315 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2008 :  21:08:13  Show Profile
That is correct for the silver 6.3.

According that datacard that car should have blue velours.
But now it has blue leather. So the complete interior must have been changed including the doorpanels. In that case I can imagin, they changed also the cable for the electric windows.

As far as I know the green car is original.
Go to Top of Page

mtrei

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2008 :  00:07:36  Show Profile  Visit mtrei's Homepage
To me both wood sets look like the work of the same person. Weren't both cars restored by E Thiesen?
Go to Top of Page

Art Love

Australia
6258 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2008 :  05:06:06  Show Profile
Michael,

I'm intrigued by your statement that the back of the glove box door was always plain brown with a satin finish. I don't think that the glove box doors on any of the 6.3's I have owned have been redone and all have the same timber type on the back as the front. I certainly would not argue about the satin finish, most of the wood in the cars I have bought has been pretty satin on the outside by the time I have acquired them, let alone the inside. Have a look at the recent photo of #765 on its thread. We definitely did not reveneer anything, just used the shade on the back of the door to try to match the rest.

Art
Go to Top of Page

paul-NL

Netherlands
4315 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2008 :  06:07:47  Show Profile
The gloveboxdoor is in my opinion a singel peace of wood what never had been veneered (in the factory). Just the edges which cover the sides were offen finished with a "darker" finish.

If it is veneered it is IMHO not original ...
Go to Top of Page

mtrei

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2008 :  11:16:48  Show Profile  Visit mtrei's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by paul-NL

The gloveboxdoor is in my opinion a singel peace of wood what never had been veneered (in the factory). Just the edges which cover the sides were offen finished with a "darker" finish.

If it is veneered it is IMHO not original ...

I can guaranteed you that all of the wood in these cars is veneered plywood. If it was solid wood it would warp over time. If you have ever seen the dashtop bow from a car with a bad window seal leak, you can see all of the layers from the plywood separating like pages in a book. The side edges are painted black.
Go to Top of Page

mtrei

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2008 :  11:23:37  Show Profile  Visit mtrei's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Art Love

I'm intrigued by your statement that the back of the glove box door was always plain brown with a satin finish. I don't think that the glove box doors on any of the 6.3's I have owned have been redone and all have the same timber type on the back as the front..

Yes, you're right Art. I guess I had the French Walnut finish in my head, which looks like plain brown when it has the satin finish. They never were glossy however.

The inside of the glovebox door from my 6.3 has been signed in silver pen by both Paul Bracq and Erich Waxenberger. I lightly scuffed the surface finish to provide a good surface for the pen, then had Drew spray clear satin over the back to protect the signatures.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M-100 Message Board © 2002-2015 International M-100 Group, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06