How many Mercedes 600 went to Africa?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

espejor

Spain
126 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2007 :  09:38:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hellow!! I would like to know how many Mercedes 600 went to Africa :) How many Pullman or Landaulet?
Regards!!

Art Love

Australia
6231 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2007 :  21:01:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
According to the book to which you refer in your previous posting, 182 600's were exported to Africa. It lists the number sent per year but it does not distinguish between SWB, LWB, Pullman or Landaulet.
Art

Edited by - Art Love on 01/30/2007 21:01:44
Go to Top of Page

Ron B

Australia
11619 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  03:20:34  Show Profile  Visit Ron B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Which part of Afica though?,there are lots of small nations which had 600's and then there was South Africa ,which has at least one member here with a SWB.

...There are old cars,and then there are Classics..(Mercedes Benz Ad. 1999)
Go to Top of Page

Art Love

Australia
6231 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  03:50:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ron,
I wish you hadn't asked that.
Egypt 12, Ethiopia 1, Equatorial Guinea 2, Algeria 3, Angola 6, Burundi 3, Certa and Melilla 1, Dsibuti 1, Elfenbeinkuste(whatever that translates to) 5, Gabun 11, Ghana 3, Cameroon 8, Canary Is 3, Kenya 10, Congo 1, Liberia 3, Libya 12, Madagasca 1, Malawi 3, Morocco 18, Mosambique 1, Nigeria 7, Obervolta 1, Reunion 2, Zambia 5, Senegal 4, Sierra Leone 5, Somalia 1, South Africa 15, Togo 3, Tunisia 2, Uganda 4, Zaire 16, Cenrtal African Republic 9.

Now don't ask how many went to each place each year
Art
Go to Top of Page

Ron B

Australia
11619 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  07:52:50  Show Profile  Visit Ron B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Des is looking for a project 600,It looks like he will have to take a holiday in a sunny climate..and take plenty of ammo if he going to some of those places mentioned.

...There are old cars,and then there are Classics..(Mercedes Benz Ad. 1999)
Go to Top of Page

espejor

Spain
126 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  09:36:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the list But I have a mistake, Canary Is and Ceuta and Melilla are Spanis
Go to Top of Page

Art Love

Australia
6231 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  03:32:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't blame me, blame the guys who wrote the book. In fairness, Canary Is was my translation of Kanarische Inseln, maybe I got it wrong. Same for Certa und Melilla. The Canary Islands are off the African Coast, no idea where the other place is, maybe the same. You can argue it as you want as to whether they are part of Spain or part of Africa that Spain owns. I don't care.

Art
Go to Top of Page

Dan Smith

USA
1623 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  09:23:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One very worthwhile 600 found it's way to Uganda. Entebbe's airport, (possible spelling error), to be more exact. It was left at that airport, after it's role in the opperation. It was one of the greatest rescues in history. If a fan can find that 600, it is a true part of history.
I seem to recall it was repainted black just prior to it's loading into the cargo plane.
Go to Top of Page

mtrei

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  10:16:10  Show Profile  Visit mtrei's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dan Smith

One very worthwhile 600 found it's way to Uganda. Entebbe's airport, (possible spelling error), to be more exact. It was left at that airport, after it's role in the opperation. It was one of the greatest rescues in history. If a fan can find that 600, it is a true part of history.
I seem to recall it was repainted black just prior to it's loading into the cargo plane.

Dan;

The black Mercedes used in the Entebbe raid was a W114, not a 600.

Go to Top of Page

donald

Belgium
41 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  14:13:11  Show Profile  Visit donald's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hi fellows,

ceuta and melila are small spanish pieces of land on the marroco borders that lie on the innersea between spain and maroco ,,afrika,,

elfenbeinkuste is ,,cote d,ivoire ,, or ivorycoast ,

i also have to mention the zaire and congo are the same , president mobutu was without doubt the king of 600 , not only imported direct , but also passing belgian harbor , i stil have one that he owned at a greek embassy , a bleu one

greetings and thanks to Art for this detailed info

marc
Go to Top of Page

espejor

Spain
126 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  15:07:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok!! Excuse me Art Love Iīm going to post photos of the Mercedes 600 (with divider) used for Israel to liberate the passengers of the airplane.

Regards!!
Go to Top of Page

Rivers

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2018 :  04:29:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In regards to specific 600 models in Africa, I know about two of the three Togo 600s. Two of the cars were Mercedes 600 Landaulet short roof cars, both of which were owned by the president. One of which has been fully restored and I think the car is in private ownership. My father bought the other car about a year ago. It was in France in decent condition but was running badly. The car was in France along with dozens of other cars, many of which are 600s. My dad drove the car back to the UK on an incredibly stressful drive through the night. He told me that the car must have broken down almost once every 10-20 minutes but he managed to drive it all the way back on his own. I was very happy because Landaulet are one of my top 5 favourite cars and he gave me a lift to school in it. The air suspension was playing up and it did cut out quite a lot but it was okay other than that. The car is currently in restoration, being returned re-trimmed, painted, chromed and receiving mechanical work. I cannot say anything else about the car yet but itís a magnificent beast and I canít wait until itís finished.

Rivers Donovan-Grewal
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M-100 Message Board © 2002-2015 International M-100 Group, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06