Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

randy crooks

Canada
42 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  11:28:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Going by eye,and the scale in my brain I would say the front axel is 18" to 20" forward of a normal 600.Widening and moving the front axel would be a big job but certainly possible,I'd like to know how they did the rear end.Did they use the original diff. and lenghten the axels or completely change the rear end to something easier to modify.
Randy.
Go to Top of Page

Rob

56 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2006 :  10:59:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alabbasi

Somebody really beat this car with an ugly stick.

This is criminal - the 600 is one of the most perfectly designed automobiles in history - this truly disturbs me deeply.

Edited by - Rob on 01/23/2006 11:02:25
Go to Top of Page

Art Love

Australia
6218 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  05:08:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I have worked out what they have done. They have seriously shortened the bonnet (engine hood for you US guys). Look at the length of the bonnet in the side view. I suspect the front axle is right where it always was. That raises the further question of what is under the bonnet - a Morris Minor motor???
LOL,
Art
Go to Top of Page

mtrei

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  10:19:29  Show Profile  Visit mtrei's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Art, I don't thing so. If you look at the side picture, you can see that the back of the front tire is a good 2-2.5 feet forward of the front edge of the front door. This is at least double what it is on a regular car. Also, if you look at the front shot, it is clear that the track, and the entire width of the car has been increased by well over a foot.
Go to Top of Page

Ron B

Australia
11611 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  07:26:08  Show Profile  Visit Ron B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Those horns look good chromed....
Go to Top of Page

unpolire

USA
403 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2006 :  03:48:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is that rear bumper on the black Ford-powered car original? A supercharged 429 would have been a pleasant surprise underhood. At least they get that great USA AC compressor!
Go to Top of Page

unpolire

USA
403 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2006 :  03:52:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just realized that those comfortable looking rear seats in the Ford-powered 600 are the power reclining seats from an E32 BMW (750iL/735iL)! They are shown in full recline position. Very clever modern install. Power headrests and heating (optional), too. My kids love those back seats!
Go to Top of Page

Oliver

Germany
205 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2006 :  04:50:49  Show Profile  Visit Oliver's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Very clever modern install.

I disagree... These may be the most comfortable seats in the world, BUT THEY STILL DON'T BELONG IN THIS CAR! And neither does the Ford engine! How can anyone be so ignorant to ruin a 600 by pimping it up with "improvemeents" that turn a classic car into a piece of junk!
Just my 0.02€ worth...

Go to Top of Page

unpolire

USA
403 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2006 :  06:36:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Obviously this car was "saved" after its previous owner swapped out the M-B engine for a US power train. If this is the same car that was on eBay, the young relative selling the car told me his grandfather had it converted because he drove it to Palm Springs a lot (about 100 miles from L.A.) and wanted cold air conditioning. The original engine and transmission were lost when the mechanic who did the swap closed shop. Had the original engine still been available, I would have bought the car. Despite its lack of originality, the rarity of the Grand 600 would justify a full restoration back to original one day. At least it wasn't junked and is on the road! The chassis lives. Since the cars were originally heavily customized to the personal tastes of their owners, changing the seats does not bother me. Remember, M-B actually fitted late V-12 power trains to Grand 600s when enough money was waved. A Grand 600 with S600/S65 drivetrain and ABS, modern HVAC, and Airmatic suspension, all within the original body, would be a magnificent and desirable car above and beyond the Maybach!
Go to Top of Page

Oliver

Germany
205 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2006 :  13:05:24  Show Profile  Visit Oliver's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hm.... for me, the question is: why was the engine replaced at all instead of making the original one (including the A/C) work? After all, the M-100 engine has a very good reputation in terms of reliability...

Interestinng that you talked to the last owner in the US, as the guy who bought it is now desperately trying to sell it here in Germany for 18,900 EUR. Do you happen to remember what the ebay price was like?

Here's the link BTW...

http://www.mobile.de/SIDNzCaww6G9vlIQLiIF-4Gqg-t-vaNexlCsAsCsK%F3P%F3R~BmSB11Iindex_cgiJ1139252220A2Iindex_cgiD1100CCarX-t-vctpLtt~BmPA1A1B20B15%81K-t-vCaMiMkQuRDSeVb_X_Y_x_y~BSRA6D1100C146E17200AGD1970CPKWHinPublicA2A0A0A0/cgi-bin/da.pl?sr_qual=G&top=2&sprache=2&bereich=pkw&id=11111111192863716&

As for the late 600 conversions by AMG, I think it's really a shame what they did! But maybe it depends on whether you regard the 600 as a classic or just as an old car...
Go to Top of Page

paul-NL

Netherlands
4254 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2006 :  18:04:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The most ugly 600 is in my opinion:
The pullman from Hugh Heffner's (playboy) Kollektion, that had double rearaxles and a continental kit for his sparewheel and extended rear wings. Also streched front wings. Completely disproportioned.
They were build and designed by Jack Ryan Group in Los Angeles in 1980.
A foto is on page 142 and 143 in Wiedmaier's book "600" The Grand Mercedes.

In that case is that (for an arabic princess) widend car in purple-red color a beauty with some older 300 Adenauer (front)restyling by Rainer Buchmann, build in 1981. Same book page 144. That must be one of very the last build 600's.
Go to Top of Page

Rivers

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2018 :  04:17:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My father used to own this Buchmann car in the 1980s. He was and still is a classic and sports car dealer from the UK, then he owned and ran Straight 8 and now he runs and and owns DDCLASSICS. He told me a great story about when he sold the car. At the time he owned two 600s, the Buchmann car and a Landaulet which he had near perfectly converted from a Pullman. At that time he was really struggling financially and was pretty desperate for money. Out of the blue, a Sheikh came in and said that he would like to buy the cars and bring to the Middle East but wanted to convert the Landaulet from Right to Left Hand Drive and the car be ready to ship out in two weeks. In the heat of the moment, my father agreed and said he’d have the car converted in that time only to realise a few minutes later the mammoth proportions of the task. Firstly, converting a Mercedes 600 was and still is incredibly difficult and the other issue was finding another Mercedes 600, specifically a Left Hand Drive car in that time. Unbelievably, just a few days later as he was coming back from the bank to his showroom he saw a Left Hand Drive 600 Pullman parked outside the forecourt and immediately ran across the toad to ask about buying the car. Surprisingly enough, the people with the Pullman wanted to sell it and he bought it immediately. He then took both the Pullman and the Landaulet to his mechanic to swap them over from Left to Right and Right to Left Hand Drive. Despite the difficulty of the task he managed to convert both cars in the time. And so he sold both the Landaulet and the Buchmann car and that deal saved the business from potential bankruptcy. He did drive the Buchmann car a little bit and he told me how difficult it was to drive because of how much wider it was and how much it was extended. It may be quite ugly but both he and I quite like it and he said the work and craftsmanship which went into making that car was very impressive as pushing the front axels forward and making those wings etc would’ve been very difficult. I think the car is still in the Middle East whereas the Landaulet was given by the Sheikh to the King of Morocco as a present. I believe that he still has it though I haven’t seen any pictures of it.

Rivers Donovan-Grewal
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
M-100 Message Board © 2002-2015 International M-100 Group, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06